128th notes (just play as many as you can)

  • jonleidecker99
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2009
      Hello Ives scholars

      I have a dim memory of reading a description of a moment in an Ives symphonic score where one of the instrumental parts switches to 128th notes, with a simple instruction to the musician to 'just play as many of these as you can'. For years I've been hoping to come across this anecdote again, or locate the precise score which deploys this effect.

      Can anyone remember if this accurately describes an Ives piece? Or are my wires crossed? I'm working on a lecture series about the development of appropriative collage in music, and while this 'trick' of Ives is more of a foreshadowing of ways to 'score' indeterminate results than one of musical collage, I still like to mention it to friends. But if I'm going to start mentioning it behind a podium, I'll need footnotes, and I would love to hunt down the score itself.

      Thanks in advance, fellow fanatics

      -jl

      ps - if anyone is interested, a podcast overview of the music I'm discussing is freely available here -- episode 1 kicks off with bits of Ives' Holidays & the 4th: http://rwm.macba.cat/en/curatorial/