Ives Newsletter

  • Patrick Petit
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2009
      Happy new year to all of you and all of Charles Ives's fans

      I have received the new Society Newsletter from James Sinclair With
      several exciting information.
      Patrick

      -------------

      An Ives Newsletter ' 1 January 2009

      Happy New Year!!

      New: A Charles Ives Omnibus

      Selected, compiled, and annotated by James Mack Burk. Monographs &
      Bibliographies in American Music, no. 18 (Hillsdale, NY: Pendragon
      Press, 2008).

      In just over 1000 pages, this tome covers Ives bibliography (254 pp.)
      and discography (200 pp.; both sections done by year of publication),
      and Ives's compositions (in a putative chronological order; 352 pp.;
      citing a number of important performances and their reviews), plus a
      substantial section titled "Et Alia" that has 25 subsections covering
      some unusual ground, including "Awards Named in Honor of Ives," "Films
      with Ives's Music in the Soundtrack," "Ives Cited in Fiction," "Music
      Dedicated to Ives," Ives in ballet, Ives in sculptures, etc.'a unique
      collection of information. With so much information in chronological
      order, it takes a substantial index to get to info on a particular
      work or subject: 130 pp. of that seem to do it. (ISBN-13:
      978-1-57647-119-7) [amazon.com has the book currently priced at $32]

      Three Places at Presser

      Orchestral Set No. 1: Three Places in New England has just been
      published (456-40008 - $40.00) by Theodore Presser Co. in a new
      engraving of the oft-performed and recorded full orchestra version
      edited by James Sinclair. The new publication is of "Version 4",
      Sinclair's fusion of Ives's 1929 musical text (done for Slonimsky's
      small orchestra) and Ives's full orchestration of his original
      version, ca. 1914-16. This is a performance version based on
      Sinclair's critical edition of the 1929 state. Master engraver Thomas
      Brodhead has produced the new score and created a remarkably clear and
      helpful set of parts. A new set of engraved materials for the 1929
      small orchestra version will be available shortly.

      Ives Vocal Marathon

      In four days of performances, four singers and one pianist (Neely
      Bruce) will present the complete songs (185) and song fragments(!) of
      Charles Ives. This multi-day event will take place at Wesleyan
      University in Middletown, Connecticut during January 29 February 1,
      2009. Included are a keynote address by Kyle Gann and panels with Ives
      scholars. Who knows when such a live survey will happen again?! This
      is an extraordinary event attracting scholars and Ives fan from across
      America and Europe. Their website has all the specifics:

      http://www.myspace.com/ivesvocalmarathon

      Ives weekend in Miami Beach

      Michael Tilson Thomas and the New World Symphony will present a
      four-day Ives festival, February 19-22 (Thursday through Sunday) at
      their Lincoln Theatre in Miami Beach. The festival will include
      important visiting Ives scholars, conductors, and performers,
      including pianist Jeremy Denk, conductor James Sinclair, biographer
      Jan Swafford, and scholar J. Peter Burkholder. Featured works include
      Orchestral Set No. 1: Three Places in New England, Holidays Symphony,
      Piano Trio, "Concord" Sonata, and Henry Brant's orchestration of the
      "Concord," A Concord Symphony. Visit
      https://www.nws.edu/WebSales/ConcertEvents.aspx for information on the
      individual evening concerts.

      New CD releases

      Songs. Susan Narucki, soprano, with Donald Berman, pianist

      New World Records 80680-2

      Complete Songs, Vols. 3, 4, 5, & 6

      Yale University vocalists and accompanists

      Naxos American Classics 8-559271, ...2, ...3, & ...4

      Complete Psalms

      South West German Radio Vokalensemble/Creed

      Hänssler Classic HNS93 224

      A list of American dissertations on Ives since 2001:

      Ives's multiverse: The Concord Sonata as American cosmology by Bruhn,
      Christopher Edwin, Ph.D., City University of New York, 2006, 267
      pages; AAT 3231936

      Symphony No. 2 by Charles Ives: An historic review and consideration
      of performance practice

      by Shulman, Ivan, M.Mus., California State University, Long Beach,
      2008, 132 pages; AAT 1451527

      Duality and process in "The greatest legend of American music:" A
      comparative study of realizations and completions of Charles Ives's
      Universe Symphony by Larry Austin, David Porter, and Johnny Reinhard
      by Lyman, Zachary Taft, D.M.A., The University of Iowa, 2007, 427
      pages; AAT 3265964

      The influence of Charles Ives on the solo piano music of John Cage by
      Rodriguez, Yolanda Maxine, M.M., California State University, Long
      Beach, 2008, 53 pages; AAT 1455505

      The children's hour: The thematic use of childhood in the songs of
      Charles Ives by Childs, Andrew S., D.M.A., University of Washington,
      2004, 180 pages; AAT 3131135

      Ives as innovator? Considerations of sources, biography, and style for
      his songs based on models by Misener, Katharine Lynn, M.A., University
      of Ottawa (Canada), 2000, 102 pages; AAT MQ58484

      Representations of gender and sexuality in the music and writings of
      Charles Ives

      by Fairfield, Patrick Kenneth, Ph.D., Brandeis University, 2000, 395
      pages; AAT 9968010

      A performance approach to Charles Ives' Fourth Violin Sonata by Wong,
      Justin, M.M., California State University, Long Beach, 2007, 47 pages;
      AAT 1451227

      Toward a quarter-tone syntax: Analyses of selected works by Blackwood,
      Haba, Ives, and Wyschnegradsky by Skinner, Myles Leigh, Ph.D., State
      University of New York at Buffalo, 2007, 273 pages; AAT 3244260

      "A school of new men": Composing an American identity in the early
      twentieth century

      by Kopp, Christina Lee, Ph.D., Boston University, 2006, 174 pages; AAT
      3202560

      Converging paths to the canon: Charles Ives, Gustav Mahler, and
      American culture by Paul, David Christopher, Ph.D., University of
      California, Berkeley, 2006, 400 pages; AAT 3254021

      The essence of twentieth century American art songs by Lin, Yi-Cherng,
      D.M.A., University of Maryland, College Park, 2006, 11 pages; AAT 3298330

      The evolving perception of Charles Ives and his music by Liao,
      Hsiang-Chi, D.M.A., West Virginia University, 2006, 137 pages; AAT 3225374

      Time and compositional process in Charles Ives's "Holidays Symphony"
      by Thurmaier, David Paul, Ph.D., Indiana University, 2006, 243 pages;
      AAT 3220178

      Transcribing Charles Ives Violin Sonatas Nos. 1 and 3 for clarinet by
      Graham, Christopher Frederick, D.M.A., University of Miami, 2006, 82
      pages; AAT 3215272

      "Music close to the soil and deeply felt": The use of American hymn
      tunes in Charles Ives's "Third Symphony" by Zobel, Mark Alan, Ph.D.,
      University of Colorado at Boulder, 2005, 149 pages; AAT 3168309

      Use of time and spatial form in String Quartet No. 2 by Charles Ives
      by Berners, John Edgar, Ph.D., University of Michigan, 2005, 289
      pages; AAT 3163752

      Part One. The integrity of structure or the structure of integrity: An
      analysis of Charles Ives' "Hallowe'en". Part Two. Concerto for Piano
      and Chamber Ensemble by Schwartz, David Thomas, Ph.D., University of
      California, Santa Barbara, 2004, 72 pages; AAT 3136908

      Quotation, revolution, and American culture: The use of folk tunes and
      the influence of Charles Ives in Frederic Rzewski's "North American
      Ballads" for solo piano by Cornett-Murtada, Vanessa, D.M.A., The
      University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2004, 166 pages; AAT 3126774

      Struggling to define a nation: American music in the twentieth century
      by Garrett, Charles Hiroshi, Ph.D., University of California, Los
      Angeles, 2004, 355 pages; AAT 3155018

      Translating experience, transcending time: Temporal procedures and
      their expressive meanings in the music of Charles Ives by McDonald,
      Matthew James, Ph.D., Yale University, 2004, 267 pages; AAT 3125258

      An improvisational reading of Charles Ives's "Concord Sonata" by
      Walton, Scott L., D.M.A., University of California, San Diego, 2003,
      28 pages; AAT 3112200

      Charles Ives, Duke Ellington, Aaron Copland: A search for an American
      identity in early twentieth century American music by Riley, Owen
      Howard, M.A., California State University, Dominguez Hills, 2003, 78
      pages; AAT 1415826

      The Fourth Sonata for Violin and Piano, "Children's Day at the Camp
      Meeting" by Charles Ives: Contextual, structural, and stylistic
      considerations by Thompson, William Curt, D.M.A., Rice University,
      2003, 110 pages; AAT 3090189

      The violin and piano sonatas of Charles Ives: A methodical approach to
      performance with motivic analysis by Theodore, Mary M., D.M.A.,
      University of Washington, 2003, 120 pages; AAT 3091081

      A biographical and theoretical analysis of the trumpet in selected
      chamber works of Charles Ives: An aid to performance by Vastano,
      Robert Guy, Jr., D.M.A., The University of Texas at Austin, 2002, 116
      pages; AAT 3077402

      The "Five Advertising Songs" and the "Gravestones at Hancock, N.H.": A
      study of two song cycles composed by Nicolas Slonimsky by Settle,
      David Alan, D.M.A., The University of Oklahoma, 2001, 92 pages; AAT
      3029621

      James Sinclair
      203-915-2662
      232 Dwight St.
      New Haven CT 06511-4505
    • Gene Halaburt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2009
        That should have read:

        <www.ivesvocalmarathon.com>

        Sorry. :-)

        On Jan 5, 2009, at 7:09 PM, Patrick Petit wrote:

        > Ives Vocal Marathon
        >
        > In four days of performances, four singers and one pianist (Neely
        > Bruce) will present the complete songs (185) and song fragments(!) of
        > Charles Ives. This multi-day event will take place at Wesleyan
        > University in Middletown, Connecticut during January 29 February 1,
        > 2009. Included are a keynote address by Kyle Gann and panels with
        Ives
        > scholars. Who knows when such a live survey will happen again?! This
        > is an extraordinary event attracting scholars and Ives fan from
        across
        > America and Europe. Their website has all the specifics:
        >
        > http://www.myspace.com/ivesvocalmarathon

        A more up-to-date URL for the Marathon is:

        <ivesvocalmarathon.com>