Re: New recording of Concord Sonata

  • Patrick Petit
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 15, 2008
      --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, Kirk McElhearn <kirkmc@...> wrote:

      > Aside from the tempo, it's interesting, and I'd have liked to read the
      > liner nots from the CD. Do you have the disc? I just downloaded it
      > from eMusic, so there's no info. I'd like to read whatever
      > justification he may have for these tempi.

      Here is an excerpt of the liner note of the cd written by Jonathan
      Elliott.

      « The Concord Sonata represents, in its four movements, a virtual
      synopsis of the ivesian view . It is a full scale gargantuan work of
      the same epic proportions as Beehoven's Hammerklavier' Sonata .It is
      technically daunting for the pianist who attempts it. It brings
      together material from a broad spectrum of different worlds:
      functional tonality , ragtime, polytonality, atonality, polyrhythm .
      It seems almost overwhelming in the exuberance of its ideas. Various
      textures are juxtaposed; the music makes rapid shifts in mood; yet it
      is all stamped with the thorny, highly personal stamp of its
      composer.Rather than verge on incoherence, this soanta seems to
      perfect sense, yet not in any typical way . »

      But Gorisek don't explain his playing style in the liner note.

      Patrick
    • Kirk McElhearn
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 15, 2008
        On Nov 16, 2008, at 1:20 AM, Patrick Petit wrote:

        > Here is an excerpt of the liner note of the cd written by Jonathan
        > Elliott.
        >
        > « The Concord Sonata represents, in its four movements, a virtual
        > synopsis of the ivesian view . It is a full scale gargantuan work of
        > the same epic proportions as Beehoven's Hammerklavier' Sonata .It is
        > technically daunting for the pianist who attempts it. It brings
        > together material from a broad spectrum of different worlds:
        > functional tonality , ragtime, polytonality, atonality, polyrhythm .
        > It seems almost overwhelming in the exuberance of its ideas. Various
        > textures are juxtaposed; the music makes rapid shifts in mood; yet it
        > is all stamped with the thorny, highly personal stamp of its
        > composer.Rather than verge on incoherence, this soanta seems to
        > perfect sense, yet not in any typical way . »
        >
        > But Gorisek don't explain his playing style in the liner note.

        Thanks for that. While I could deal with the first three movements,
        the Thoreau just fell apart because of the tempo...

        Kirk
        Author of: Take Control of Users & Accounts in Leopard
        http://www.mcelhearn.com/tco.html
        - - - - - -
      • Tony Cole
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 16, 2008
          Well, Kirk - Mon ami Patrick will remember that he and I have agreed to differ a little in previous discussions in the group about Mr Gorisek's recording. While I agree totally that the tempi raelly do put the performance out-of-court as a whole, I do find some lovely touches in places, AND I don't find it dull.......there are a number of very ordinary and dull recordings - very run-of-the-mill - which is very last thing you want in this work..... I was taken with your comment (about the Muraro recording) that you didn't feel you needed any more Concords, whereas I have bleated before that "you can't have too many" - I know that if I had called a halt to my acquisitions of recordings of this sonata year's ago (say when I had amassed a dozen or so), I would have missed out on some really great surprises - Aimard, Longobardi, Gottlieb - and most of all Vandewalle......... Am going to track down (excuse the pun) Roger Muraro's now....... Tony

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 16, 2008
            On Nov 16, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Tony Cole wrote:

            > Well, Kirk - Mon ami Patrick will remember that he and I have
            > agreed to differ a little in previous discussions in the group about
            > Mr Gorisek's recording. While I agree totally that the tempi raelly
            > do put the performance out-of-court as a whole, I do find some
            > lovely touches in places, AND I don't find it dull.......there are a
            > number of very ordinary and dull recordings - very run-of-the-mill -
            > which is very last thing you want in this work..... I was taken with
            > your comment (about the Muraro recording) that you didn't feel you
            > needed any more Concords, whereas I have bleated before that "you
            > can't have too many" - I know that if I had called a halt to my
            > acquisitions of recordings of this sonata year's ago (say when I had
            > amassed a dozen or so), I would have missed out on some really great
            > surprises - Aimard, Longobardi, Gottlieb - and most of all
            > Vandewalle......... Am going to track down (excuse the pun) Roger
            > Muraro's now....... Tony

            Well, at least it's less onerous than with, say, Mahler, who wrote a
            lot of symphonies. An obsession with a single sonata (arguably the
            finest work of modern keyboard music) costs much less.

            I've picked up a few lately, because I joined eMusic, where one
            Concord comes out to $1.20.

            Kirk
            Author of: Take Control of Customizing Microsoft Office
            http://www.mcelhearn.com/tcoo.html
            - - - - - -
          • Tony Cole
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 16, 2008
              Bon jour, Patrick - Do you have the details of Universal's Muraro CD? - I can get a bit of info on it but not yet enough to be certain of being able to order it.........Thanks, Tony.
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 16, 2008
                On Nov 16, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Tony Cole wrote:

                > Bon jour, Patrick - Do you have the details of Universal's Muraro
                > CD? - I can get a bit of info on it but not yet enough to be certain
                > of being able to order it.........Thanks, Tony.

                Here's a French download site with a track list:

                http://www.virginmega.fr/musique/album/roger-muraro-regards-sur-le-xxe-siecle-104589772,page1.htm

                Kirk

                Author of: iPod & iTunes Garage
                http://www.mcelhearn.com/ipod.html
                - - - - - -
              • Patrick Petit
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 16, 2008
                  --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Cole" <tony@...> wrote:

                  > Bon jour, Patrick - Do you have the details of Universal's Muraro
                  CD? - I can get a bit of info on it but not yet enough to be certain
                  of being able to order it.........Thanks, Tony.

                  Bonjour Tony

                  This recording will be available the 11-17 but i found it two days ago.
                  In addition to the link given by Kirk i give you this link from french
                  amazon (the only Amazon where it is available today)
                  <http://www.amazon.fr/Regards-Sur-Le-Xx%C3%A8me-Si%C3%A8cle/dp/B001D94L0W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226879803&sr=8-2>,
                  I precise this is a live recording taken in july 2004 at "lives in
                  Tremblay" in tribute to the memory of the pianist Claude Hellfer. To
                  my knowledge there are very few recordings live of the Concord. Except
                  Muraro i know only the recording of Timothy Andres.