speedy ives from stockholm

  • Tony Cole
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
      A fascinating lp has come my way - Carl-Axel Dominique is a Swedish pianist whose 1979 live concert in Stockholm contains the swiftest/shortest Emerson and Alcotts I have ever heard - at 11:03 and 4:30 respectively they even beat Herr Kontarsky to the winners tape....the sound is pretty murky & bathroomish, BUT, as in the case of Aloys K., I rather enjoy the quick versions (& I suspect Charley would have done too). Carl-Axel also plays a movement from Sonata No.1 (listed as movt 5, but is No.4 to most of us), as well as Alkan, Satie & a fantasy of his own - fascinatin' stuff, and I'd love to hear him in the whole Concord, which he certainly gave on a number of occasions. Tony

    • barkleysbug60
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2008
        Seems interesting...
        I'm a little dubious, though, about playing "Emerson" at high speed.
        Isn't there a risk of making it a complete mess?
        I think (like nearly every Ives' piano pieces) it requires a lot of
        thought and careful attention throughout, by the pianist: some
        passages are better if played at high speed, some are better when
        played slowly...
        IMHO, obviously
        F.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2008
          Oh, I agree absolutely......a fast rushed account is just as bad as some of the awfully slow ones we all know about. However, Kontarsky has shown what a great pianist can do at tempi resembling Ives' own, and Dominique is pretty impressive too in his two movements recorded at this recital. Anyone else out there been able to hear the truly magnificent CD of the Concord by Daan Vandewalle? - at present this is probably my favourite of all that I've heard.......Tony

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2008
            I only heard 2 renditions of the Concord: Marc-André Hamelin, plus
            another one which I can't remember at the moment (maybe Kalisch), and
            my preference goes to Hamelin. The other one is actually too slow,
            exp in Thoreau...he slows those ostinatos in an unbearable way, the
            features of the movement are unrecognizable.
            I'll try to get both the Kontarsky and the Vandewalle renditions.