"borrowings"

  • barkleysbug60
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2008
      Are we sure all the "borrowings" in Ives' composition are ACTUALLY
      borrowings?
      I mean, sometimes the "original tune" is barely recognizable (f.e.
      the "Dies Irae" in Decoration Day) and I'm not sure that it's an actual
      citation
      Regards
    • David See
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2008
        I¹ve wondered about that too. The resemblance of the opening of Beethoven¹s
        Hammerklavier Sonata to the second phrase of the recurring Concord Sonata
        theme seems a mite sketchy -- unless Ives himself left a written indication
        in the Memos or somewhere that the resemblance was intentional. Did he?

        -David See

      • Afmmjr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2008
          My thoughts run similarly; perhaps it has been overstated that Bach "uses"
          the creativity of others in order to develop his own original music. As a
          pioneer is American music, using the vernacular from spirituals, from Foster, or
          even setting variations on America, make total sense. By the time Ives reached
          the Universe Symphony, there are no quotes, and this is apparently the longest
          uninterrupted instrumental piece of music ever written, even in its orignally
          unfinished state.

          Johnny