Re: [charlesives] Piano sonatas - Eckhardt

  • anthony cole
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2008
      Dear David - Baekkelund's Concord is on Polygram Records, Oslo - Polydor
      825697-1
      I have the LP of the Hadassah Sahr performance (didn't cost me anything like
      $100...and it's signed by her!) - Daan Vanderwalle very kindly said he'd
      send me a copy of his recording (but never did....), and it is now offered
      on Amazon at over £100......

      Out of interest here is a list of "my" Concords..................I have the
      recordings of:-
      Aimard, Andres, Baekellund, Bartschi, Bessette, Blackwood, Coleman,
      Deutsch, Eckhardt, Gorisek, Gottlieb, Hamelin 1 & 2, Henck, Jensen,
      Kalish, Kirkpatrick 1 & 2, Kontarsky, Longobardi, Lubimov, Lumsden,
      McDonald, Mandel, Mayer, Mead, Mikhashoff, Morozzi, Plaunt, Reinelt,
      Sahr, Salo, Shannon, Szidon

      I did not know that Zumbro had recorded Concord........though I remember
      hearing him play it live (at I think the US Embassy in London) back in the
      70s...........

      Apart from this and the Vanderwalle, I do not have: Ramadori, Trythall or
      Pappastavrou (though I used to have the LP of the latter, but it seems to
      have disappeared during one or other of my several trans-continental moves..
      ......) I also remember hearing George P play the work live at the Wigmore
      Hall in the '60s - as did Jeanne Behrend (whom I also heard), and, later,
      Nina Deutsch. Another very great pianist who played both the sonatas in UK
      in the '70s was Yonty Solomon & this was at a time when he was one of the
      few given permission by the eccentric composer Sorabji to play his
      extraordinary music............

      As I have remarked before: you can't have enough Concords..................
      .. Tony