Ives songs on Naxos

  • Kirk McElhearn
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 24, 2008
      http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.559269

      This is weird; the songs are in alphabetical order, and this first
      volume only goes up to C... I'd never imagine such an idea for any
      composer - just releasing the songs in alpha order throws them totally
      out of context.

      Kirk

    • Gene Halaburt
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 24, 2008
        I see what I consider a rather lame defense of this approach by Richard
        Whitehouse on the Naxos site:

        "Although it would be entirely possible to collate Ives's songs
        according to type, the alphabetic approach adopted by this edition
        ensures that each volume (of which this disc is the first) contains a
        representative cross-section."

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, Kirk McElhearn <kirkmc@...> wrote:

        > http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.559269
        >
        > This is weird; the songs are in alphabetical order, and this first
        > volume only goes up to C... I'd never imagine such an idea for any
        > composer - just releasing the songs in alpha order throws them
        totally
        > out of context.
        >
        > Kirk
      • Anne Ozorio
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 24, 2008
          On 24 Jun 2008 at 11:36, Gene Halaburt wrote:

          > I see what I consider a rather lame defense of this approach by Richard
          > Whitehouse on the Naxos site:
          >
          > "Although it would be entirely possible to collate Ives's songs
          > according to type, the alphabetic approach adopted by this edition
          > ensures that each volume (of which this disc is the first) contains a
          > representative cross-section."

          Richard is usually a good writer and intelligent but he's lucky in
          this case that there are enough songs in A to C to fill a CD. Imagine
          "representative" collections of song titles starting Q to S or X to Z
          ?

          Anne
          anne.ozorio@...
        • Al Connors
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 24, 2008
            Personally, I see nothing at all wrong with recording them this way.
            Ives's published song collections (including "114 Songs") are all
            random affairs, with early songs often right next to later ones. I
            fail to see what "context" recording them alphabetically throws them
            "out" of. They were not written as cycles or groups of any kind but
            as individual songs. Just as Whitehouse says, doing them this way
            guarantees a good cross-section in each volume. It's an excellent idea.

            --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, Kirk McElhearn <kirkmc@...> wrote:

            > http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.559269
            >
            > This is weird; the songs are in alphabetical order, and this first
            > volume only goes up to C... I'd never imagine such an idea for any
            > composer - just releasing the songs in alpha order throws them totally
            > out of context.
            >

            > Kirk
            >
            > Read my blog: Kirkville -- http://www.mcelhearn.com
            > Musings, Opinion and Miscellanea, on Macs, iPods and more

          • Kirk McElhearn
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 24, 2008
              On Jun 24, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Al Connors wrote:

              > Personally, I see nothing at all wrong with recording them this way.
              > Ives's published song collections (including "114 Songs") are all
              > random affairs, with early songs often right next to later ones. I
              > fail to see what "context" recording them alphabetically throws them
              > "out" of. They were not written as cycles or groups of any kind but
              > as individual songs. Just as Whitehouse says, doing them this way
              > guarantees a good cross-section in each volume. It's an excellent
              > idea.

              I'd rather see it in chronological order.

              BTW, how many songs are there? If the first volume is only up to C,
              then there must be quite a lot...

              Kirk
              Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
              http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html
              - - - - - -
            • Al Connors
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 24, 2008
                http://www.charlesives.org/03catsongkeyb.htm

                --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, Kirk McElhearn <kirkmc@...> wrote:

                > On Jun 24, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Al Connors wrote:
                >
                > > Personally, I see nothing at all wrong with recording them this way.
                > > Ives's published song collections (including "114 Songs") are all
                > > random affairs, with early songs often right next to later ones. I
                > > fail to see what "context" recording them alphabetically throws them
                > > "out" of. They were not written as cycles or groups of any kind but
                > > as individual songs. Just as Whitehouse says, doing them this way
                > > guarantees a good cross-section in each volume. It's an excellent
                > > idea.
                >
                > I'd rather see it in chronological order.
                >
                > BTW, how many songs are there? If the first volume is only up to C,
                > then there must be quite a lot...
                >

                > Kirk
                > Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
                > http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html
                > - - - - - -
                > Read my blog: Kirkville -- http://www.mcelhearn.com
                > Musings, Opinion and Miscellanea, on Macs, iPods and more

              • anthony cole
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 24, 2008
                  Well, I more-or-less agree with you Al, and was about to suggest the same
                  until you beat me to it.... What I think would have been really good idea
                  though (esp. as I have 2 copies of the 114 songs book - being lucky enough
                  to have a rare copy of the original one as well as the reprint ) would be to
                  have had the CDs reproduce the order of the 114 songs in Ives' publication
                  and then add the others as one or two later releases. Tony

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 24, 2008
                    On Jun 24, 2008, at 7:54 PM, Al Connors wrote:

                    > http://www.charlesives.org/03catsongkeyb.htm

                    205; that's a lot. That will make 7 or 8 discs.

                    Kirk

                  • anthony cole
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 24, 2008
                      Seems like the Naxos tally will run to 182 songs...............Tony

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 24, 2008
                        The previous complete recording of songs by label Albany in 1994, was
                        in chronological order and contained 153 songs, only for voice and
                        piano, many great songs without single piano accompaniment was missing
                        (Sunrise, Eschylus and Sophocles or Song for Harvest Season).

                        The second volume of naxos Ives songs begin with December and ending
                        with Gruss
                        <http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Ives-Songs-Vol-2/dp/B001AE4PEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214348235&sr=1-1>

                        Patrick