Re: Ethics of transposition

  • cornuyer22
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2008
      It is completely legitimate to transpose Ives to suit the voice. To
      deny a singer the opportunity to sing an Ives song because of vocal
      range would go totally against Mr. Ives's philosophy of music (and
      life). I am not aware of any transpositions that are commercially
      available, but you could certainly do them yourself or ask around.
      Did you have any particular songs in mind?

      Allan Connors

      --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lombardi <paulmlombardi@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello group,
      >
      > I was recently looking through a volume of Ives's songs, and I
      noticed that many of them are written for medium voice. Are any of his
      songs available in more than one transposition? (I looked and I could
      not find.) If not, is it considered appropriate to transpose Ives's
      songs like we do with Schubert Lieder?

      > Thanks,
      > Paul

    • Paul Lombardi
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2008
        Dear Mr. Conners --

        Thank you for your helpful response to our question. I am very happy
        that I may be able to sing these pieces. I am interested in
        transposing the following four songs based on hymn tunes:

        Watchman!
        Shall we Gather at the River
        His Exultation
        The Camp-meeting

        Do
        you know how we can search if anyone has already transposed these songs
        for a higher vocal range? And if I am indeed the first people to do
        so, how can I make my high-voice versions accessible for others?

        Finally, I
        would be interested in to know what Mr. Ives' philosophy of music and
        life was? This would be helpful in interpreting these pieces.

        Thank you for your time and knowledge on this subject.

        Best,
        Katherine