Ethics of transposition

  • Paul Lombardi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008
      Hello group,

      I was recently looking through a volume of Ives's songs, and I noticed that many of them are written for medium voice. Are any of his songs available in more than one transposition? (I looked and I could not find.) If not, is it considered appropriate to transpose Ives's songs like we do with Schubert Lieder?

      Thanks,
      Paul

    • cornuyer22
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2008
        It is completely legitimate to transpose Ives to suit the voice. To
        deny a singer the opportunity to sing an Ives song because of vocal
        range would go totally against Mr. Ives's philosophy of music (and
        life). I am not aware of any transpositions that are commercially
        available, but you could certainly do them yourself or ask around.
        Did you have any particular songs in mind?

        Allan Connors

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lombardi <paulmlombardi@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello group,
        >
        > I was recently looking through a volume of Ives's songs, and I
        noticed that many of them are written for medium voice. Are any of his
        songs available in more than one transposition? (I looked and I could
        not find.) If not, is it considered appropriate to transpose Ives's
        songs like we do with Schubert Lieder?

        > Thanks,
        > Paul

      • Paul Lombardi
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2008
          Dear Mr. Conners --

          Thank you for your helpful response to our question. I am very happy
          that I may be able to sing these pieces. I am interested in
          transposing the following four songs based on hymn tunes:

          Watchman!
          Shall we Gather at the River
          His Exultation
          The Camp-meeting

          Do
          you know how we can search if anyone has already transposed these songs
          for a higher vocal range? And if I am indeed the first people to do
          so, how can I make my high-voice versions accessible for others?

          Finally, I
          would be interested in to know what Mr. Ives' philosophy of music and
          life was? This would be helpful in interpreting these pieces.

          Thank you for your time and knowledge on this subject.

          Best,
          Katherine