Songs from unusual quarters

  • Anne Ozorio
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29 2:57 AM
      That ballet should be interesting ! There are quite a lot of
      ballets to song. Either they leave out the singing (!) and dance the
      words instead or they have a singer somewhere hidden in the scenery
      who sings while the dancers do their thing. Really not so bad,
      especially if good performers. The best I ever saw was a staged
      Winterreise where the choeographer worked very closely with the
      singer to get exactly the right interpretation to enhance the
      singing. It helped that the singer was a mega-athelete and could move
      well.

      Oh, and a few months ago I heard Soile Isokoski sing Ives. What a
      surprise ! She' one of the best Strauss, Mozart and Sibelius singers
      anywhere but never would I have expected Ives from someone like her.
      In fact the audience gasped when she said, witha huge mischevious
      grin, "For an encore I'll sing Charles Ives". It was very good,
      completely unadorned, yet touching. CEI would have swooned ! In
      Finland where she can sing what she likes she sings a lot of Finnish
      hymns for local audiences. Far removed from the glossy glamour of
      the international opera circuit. So maybe at heart she's not so far
      removed from some aspects of CEI's world.

      Anne
      anne.ozorio@...
    • cornuyer22
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
        Out of curiosity, what Ives song(s) did she sing?

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Ozorio" <anne.ozorio@...> wrote:

        > That ballet should be interesting ! There are quite a lot of
        > ballets to song. Either they leave out the singing (!) and dance the
        > words instead or they have a singer somewhere hidden in the scenery
        > who sings while the dancers do their thing. Really not so bad,
        > especially if good performers. The best I ever saw was a staged
        > Winterreise where the choeographer worked very closely with the
        > singer to get exactly the right interpretation to enhance the
        > singing. It helped that the singer was a mega-athelete and could move
        > well.
        >
        > Oh, and a few months ago I heard Soile Isokoski sing Ives. What a
        > surprise ! She' one of the best Strauss, Mozart and Sibelius singers
        > anywhere but never would I have expected Ives from someone like her.
        > In fact the audience gasped when she said, witha huge mischevious
        > grin, "For an encore I'll sing Charles Ives". It was very good,
        > completely unadorned, yet touching. CEI would have swooned ! In
        > Finland where she can sing what she likes she sings a lot of Finnish
        > hymns for local audiences. Far removed from the glossy glamour of
        > the international opera circuit. So maybe at heart she's not so far
        > removed from some aspects of CEI's world.
        >

        > Anne
        > anne.ozorio@...

      • Anne Ozorio
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
          On 6 Jun 2008 at 19:44, cornuyer22 wrote:
          > Out of curiosity, what Ives song(s) did she sing?

          It was an encore, so just Songs my Mother Taught Me but she was so
          natural that I can imagine her doing others equally well. So what if
          she has a slight European accent, her delivery was warm and sincere.

          Anne
          anne.ozorio@...