Coming soon The three orchestral set on Naxos

  • Patrick Petit
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10 2:59 PM
      Hello

      New information by the Naxos web site, the Three Orchestral Sets in
      the new performance by James sinclair conducting the Malmo Symphony
      Orchestra with the première of the Third Orchestral set and the
      original version of Three places
      <http://www.naxos.com/news/default.asp?pn=News&displayMenu=Naxos_News&op=223>
      To coming soon the may 29
      <http://www.amazon.fr/Ives-Three-Orchestral-Sets-Charles/dp/B001716IVQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1207864399&sr=1-4>

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15 6:29 PM
        >Hello

        >New information by the Naxos web site, the Three Orchestral Sets in
        >the new performance by James sinclair conducting the Malmo Symphony
        >Orchestra with the première of the Third Orchestral set and the
        >original version of Three places
        ><http://www.naxos.com/news/default.asp?pn=News&displayMenu=Naxos_News&op=223>
        >To coming soon the may 29
        ><http://www.amazon.fr/Ives-Three-Orchestral-Sets-Charles/dp/B001716IVQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1207864399&sr=1-4>

        >Patrick

        Great news! I also found the following at the Naxos site as well. Looks like
        our man Sinclair has been busy, indeed. All of this news renews my interest
        in CEI. I hope the Swedes "get" Ives, but I'm sure Sinclair wouldn't accept
        anything less than stellar. It's spring now and time for a heavy Ives run
        very soon..........

        New Charles Ives Recording with James Sinclair
        January 24, 2008

        From January 8 to 10, conductor James Sinclair and the Malmö Symphony
        Orchestra recorded a new Ives programme for Naxos. The recording will be
        part of an ongoing cycle of Ives' complete orchestral music. The Overture in
        G minor dates from 1899, while Thanksgiving Day is one of the four movements
        that make up the work A Symphony: Holidays in New England. The General
        Slocum, in a première recording, commemorates a shipwreck in New York
        harbour which claimed over 1000 lives. Other works recorded previously will
        also form part of this album: A Yale-Princeton Football Game, Postlude in F,
        and Fourth of July.

        James Sinclair is the Executive Editor of the Charles Ives Society and
        arguably the world's leading authority on the composer. Sessions took place
        at the Concert Hall of the Malmö Symphony in Malmö, Sweden. The
        producer-engineer was Sean Lewis.
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18 10:36 AM
          BTW, I've been enjoying the Naxos disc of President's Own Marine Band
          "Variations on America". A fantastic amalgamation of Ives many styles, with
          some truly excellent arrangements. The band is highly virtuosic, with fine
          attention to detail, and plays with extradorinary intonation (which is
          always nice)! I guess if I have a gripe, it's that they don't let loose
          enough and always seem a bit too controlled and refined, sort of the way
          Orpheus approaches Ives. But it is not without feeling, though, as there
          many fine moments which take the listener somewhere. I just wish there was a
          bit more dirt in their playing. It's a great disc to toss in the car during
          this time of year. I haven't heard much chatter regarding this one, but all
          in all I would say it's a must-have for about $8. Can't wait for the next
          installment on Naxos (with Sinclair).

          Frank