ebay CDs

  • daniel_anthony_stearns
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2008
      For anyone who might be interested, I've decided to slowly start to try
      to auction off dozens of CDs via Ebay, most of which are unusual and
      experimental:

      http://myworld.ebay.com/daywalksin

      So check it out if you're interested, and don't if you're not.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2008
        > For anyone who might be interested, I've decided to slowly start to try
        > to auction off dozens of CDs via Ebay, most of which are unusual and
        > experimental:
        >
        > http://myworld.ebay.com/daywalksin
        >
        > So check it out if you're interested, and don't if you're not.

        Science Group - Spoors! Essential stuff! I was just listening the other day.
        I'm a big fan of Bob Drake's solo material and Tickmayers, as well as Henry
        Cow and Thinking Plague (MIke Johnson). Can't go wrong for $1, folks!

        Frank
      • Anne Ozorio
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2008
          On 12 Mar 2008 at 20:55, Frank Camiola wrote:

          > Science Group - Spoors! Essential stuff! I was just listening the other day.
          > I'm a big fan of Bob Drake's solo material and Tickmayers, as well as Henry
          > Cow and Thinking Plague (MIke Johnson). Can't go wrong for $1, folks!

          Henry Cow ! Wow ! They actually took their name from Henry Cowell,
          so there's an Ives connection, for sure. No wonder so many of us
          seem to have the same eclectic tastes - Henry Cow, Robert Wyatt, Bang
          on a Can, all these guys are way up market from trash commercial pop.
          Or pap, more accurately. And they are still; going strong. Henry Cow
          folded as such about 1983 (?) but its members still are very active
          in other fields. Pete Blegvad went back to cartoon illustration but
          has since returned to music. Heiner Goebbels who was on their fringe
          is a seriously big name now in the European avant garde. He even
          gets state funding, but he hasn't lost his individualist,
          unclassifiable edge. And a couple of years agoi I was at a London
          Sinfonietta concert and heard something that reminded me of Bang On a
          Can. When I got home, I read the programme and sure enough, it was
          written by the man who was behind Bang on a Can. These days he works
          with Andriessen and the like. Class shows !

          And the Henze Requiem is one of the best. Last year I was at his new
          opera Phaedra, in Berlin. It is a kind of Requiem, too, because he
          nearly died while he was writing it (He's 80 something and was in a
          coma for months) Then when he was nursed back to health his long term
          lover suddenly died. So it is not going to be one barrel of laughs,
          but it is a powerful and disturbing work. Phaedra condemns the guy
          she wants to seduce who turns her down and he gets lkilled. But the
          person who really loves him revives him and brings him back from the
          underworld. Powerful stuff, but musically this is wonderful, as it's
          very spare and restrained, no waffle, no slush. When this turns up in
          recording, grab it. Sorry it is a bit off topic but it was so good it
          needs to be better known.

          http://www.musicweb-international.com/sandh/2007/Jul-
          Dec07/phaedra1009.htm

          Anne
          anne.ozorio@...
        • Georgie
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2008
            Anne, since I had no first-hand knowledge of the Henry Cow
            rock ensemble, I was delighted by your explanation that they took
            their name in homage to Henry Cowell. Unfortunately, a Google
            search reveals several sites which contradict this --- the
            Wikipedia entry for "Henry Cow" says that the band members
            themselves deny the connection.
            But, speaking of Ives's great loyal friend, publisher, and
            promoter, Henry Cowell, I would welcome a revival of interest in
            live performances of Cow ell's many works --- also fresh
            recordings of ALL his symphonies. Your post prompted me to
            get out my old LP records of his music --- I love his Symphony #5
            --- I love his piece for chorus and orchestra, "...if He please" (title
            and text taken from writings by a Puritan clergyman) --- and the
            gloriously offbeat melodies of Cowell's many "Hymn and
            Fugueing Tune" pieces --- so many recordings cheaply made
            ( pick-up musicians forming a fictitious orchestra with "Vienna" in
            its name) --- it would be nice to have some new recordings with
            honestly named orchestras comprised of members who have
            actually played together for more than 3 days. Counterexample
            --- one of those Vienna pick-up "orchestras" made a budget
            recording of Mahler's Symphony #1 that has stood the test of
            time despite its flubs --- because Jascha Horenstein conducted.
            But that's Middle-Europeans playing "mittel-europische musik"
            --- such recordings do not quite capture the spirit of some
            American composers --- or some British composers such as
            Havergal Brian (the "British Charles Ives"?).
            I started listening to recordings of music by Ives the day after
            he died in 1954 --- as a teenager, I read a long obituary in
            hometown paper (the Saint Louis Post-Dispatch) --- and the next
            day I got on a bus to the main downtown Saint Louis Public
            Library (which had a large record collection) and checked out all
            its Ives recordings --- at that time the only recording of Ives's
            Symphony #2 was one of those cheap European ones (Adler
            was the conductor) -- also "Three Places in New England" with
            Walter Hendl conducting a European orchestra on the American
            Recording Society label. Not a very good introduction to Ives's
            music --- but good enough to make me a life-long Ives
            enthusiast.
            In the summer of 1965 I attended a Mathematics seminar at
            University of Rochester (Rochester, New York, USA) -- I attended
            several concerts by the Eastman-Rochester Orchestra --- at one
            concert I sat next to Henry Cowell --- it was fascinating to
            eavesdrop on his conversation with the man sitting on the other
            side of him --- "A few days ago I was talking to Stravinsky
            about..." --- "Oh, yes, Virgil Thomson told me ..." ... etc... --Wow!

            Georgie Matusek

            --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Ozorio"