Ives songs

  • Kirk McElhearn
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 13, 2008
      I was browsing iTunes, and they have four volumes of Ives' songs by
      William Sharp et al. I know that Scott likes these a lot. I'm curious
      - is this the complete songs (there are 153 of them altogether)? Also,
      are the texts of the songs on the web anywhere? I don't know the songs
      very well, and this looks like a good deal - $40 for all of them in
      one shot.

      Any thoughts?

      Kirk
      Co-author of: Mastering Mac OS X - Tiger Edition
      http://www.mcelhearn.com/tiger.html
      - - - - - -
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 13, 2008
        Kirk,

        For Ives' song texts, go here: http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/i/ives/

        I'm not sure if every single song is collected on those Albany/Troy discs, but -- if not -- only a few slipped by. And definitely nothing major is missed.

        One thing to think about: IIRC Naxos is planning to release Ives' complete songs sometime soon. I don't remember anything about the performers or release dates. Anyone else know anything about this?

        To: charlesives@yahoogroups.comFrom: kirkmc@...: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:01:14 +0100Subject: [charlesives] Ives songs

        I was browsing iTunes, and they have four volumes of Ives' songs by William Sharp et al. I know that Scott likes these a lot. I'm curious - is this the complete songs (there are 153 of them altogether)? Also, are the texts of the songs on the web anywhere? I don't know the songs very well, and this looks like a good deal - $40 for all of them in one shot.Any thoughts?KirkCo-author of: Mastering Mac OS X - Tiger Editionhttp://www.mcelhearn.com/tiger.html- - - - - -Read my blog: Kirkville -- http://www.mcelhearn.comMusings, Opinion and Miscellanea, on Macs, iPods and more

      • Kirk McElhearn
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 13, 2008
          On Feb 13, 2008, at 10:54 PM, Scott Mortensen wrote:

          > For Ives' song texts, go here: http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/i/ives/
          >
          > I'm not sure if every single song is collected on those Albany/Troy
          > discs, but -- if not -- only a few slipped by. And definitely
          > nothing major is missed.

          Thanks.

          > One thing to think about: IIRC Naxos is planning to release Ives'
          > complete songs sometime soon. I don't remember anything about the
          > performers or release dates. Anyone else know anything about this?

          If I'm not mistaken, they, at one point, said they were going to
          release everything Ives composed, but that seems a bit of bluster,
          since, apparently, there is so much in manuscript form that has never
          even been performed (from what I recall at least).

          Kirk

        • anthony cole
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 13, 2008
            and..............now we have Gerald II - for those of you who haven't yet
            heard, G. Finley's second CD of Ives songs is now released (not heard by yrs
            trly yet, but a 5-star write up in BBC Music Mag.) - Tony
            PS: and texts included................

            On Feb 13, 2008, at 10:54 PM, Scott Mortensen wrote:

            > For Ives' song texts, go here: http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/i/ives/
            >
            > I'm not sure if every single song is collected on those Albany/Troy
            > discs, but -- if not -- only a few slipped by. And definitely
            > nothing major is missed.

            Thanks.

            > One thing to think about: IIRC Naxos is planning to release Ives'
            > complete songs sometime soon. I don't remember anything about the
            > performers or release dates. Anyone else know anything about this?

            If I'm not mistaken, they, at one point, said they were going to
            release everything Ives composed, but that seems a bit of bluster,
            since, apparently, there is so much in manuscript form that has never
            even been performed (from what I recall at least).

            Kirk

          • gene05boston
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 13, 2008
              --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, Kirk McElhearn <kirkmc@... wrote:

              "I'm curious - is this the complete songs (there are 153 of them
              altogether)?"

              There are 153 (all with texts) in the Albany/Troy release. In the
              excellent notes contained in Volume 1 of the release Vivian Perlis (the
              author of "Charles Ives Remembered")points out that CEI wrote 200 or
              more pieces for voice and accompaniment.

              "Any thoughts?"

              Just my opinion - worth the asking price, but do not miss other
              performances of the songs which are as good or better.

              -Gene
            • Scott
              Message 6 of 7 , May 28 12:43 PM
                The New York City Ballet is doing a performance consisting of some
                Ives songs this month:

                Music Eighteen songs by Charles Ives (in order of performance

                The Children's Hour
                Memories, Part A: Very Pleasant
                Waltz
                The Cage
                The See'r
                Two Little Flowers
                At the River and Serenity
                He is There
                Tom Sails Away
                White Gulls (cut from ballet in June, 1990)
                Songs My Mother Taught Me
                There is a Lane
                In Summer Fields
                From the "Incantation"
                Autumn
                Like a Sick Eagle
                Elegie

                Choreography Jerome Robbins
                Premiere February 4, 1988, New York City Ballet, New York State
                Theater
                Original Cast Maria Calegari, Stephanie Saland, Alexandre Proia,
                Jeppe Mydtskov, Laurence Matthews, Stacy Caddell, Katrina Killian,
                Margaret Tracey, Lauren Hauser, Melinda Roy, Lisa Jackson, Michael
                Byars, Tom Gold, Robert Lyon, Damian Woetzel, Philip Neal, Jeffrey
                Edwards, Florence Fitzgerald, Otto Neubert
                Average Length 35 min.

                - Scott
              • anthony cole
                Message 7 of 7 , May 28 11:28 PM
                  !!! - a SUNG ballet?? - or what!!?? Tony