Ives's own scores by other composers?

  • mira
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2008
      Dear All,

      I'd be really grateful if somebody could advise me a book or an
      article, where I could read about Ives's home library, particularly
      about the scores of other composers he owned. Is there any place in
      the Ives-literature where these are summarized?

      Thank you in advance,
      mira
    • David O'Dette
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2008
        I think I have read somewhere that Vivian Perlis's students one year did an inventory of Ives's personal library. This might have been mentioned in her Ives oral history book, but I have just moved and it is not at hand. I would guess that the result of the inventory, if it was done, is somewhere in the Ives collection at Yale. I am temporarily unable to check whether the information is published anywhere due to the unavailability of my own little Ives collection.

        It is an interesting question. We know from the Essays Before a Sonata and the Memos, among other things, that Ives had a considerable knowledge of other composers' music. A related item I wish we could have is irretrievably lost: I think it is in the Memos that Ives mentions having once spent part of a day at his home reading through Mozart violin sonatas with a visiting violinist. We have probably all read the stories of Ives's attempts to get violinists to play his own sonatas, but wouldn't it be priceless to have a recording of Ives playing Mozart?! Of course the same is true for his improvisations as a church organist. This little fantasy game could be extended to many other composers. Very high on my list would be the chance to have heard the teenaged Shostakovich improvising piano accompaniments to silent films in a Leningrad movie house.

        David

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2008
          Dear David,

          Thanks for the information.
          I have the oral history book, I'll
          page that to find some further knowledge in the subject.

          mira