Re: [charlesives] Orchestral work with "Battle of the Bands"?

  • David O'Dette
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
      No one seems to have replied to this, so I'll belatedly do so.

      There is more than one such passage in Ives, but the quintessential example is the second movement, Putnam's Camp, from Three Places in New England.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
        Hello everyone,

        Well, I thought it was George Ives who organized it, climbing at the
        top of the church tower, and listening to his town band, divided in 4
        groups, marching towards the church, each playing its part.
        Is not it so?

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "David O'Dette" <dodette@...> wrote:

        > No one seems to have replied to this, so I'll belatedly do so.
        >
        > There is more than one such passage in Ives, but the quintessential
        example is the second movement, Putnam's Camp, from Three Places in
        New England.

      • Malcolm
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
          Hi Folks,
          I believe that Pzdlre is quite correct about George Ives and the
          town bands. It's a notion that has had influence on my own thoughts
          about the appeal of music. But Dvb2dob specifically asked "Which of
          Ives' works depicts two different marching bands playing different
          pieces at the same time?". "Depicts" is the key word for me and it's
          why I hadn't got around to replying earlier (that, not enough
          definitive knowledge on the subject, and pure bone idleness). If
          Dvd2bob was unaware of George Ives' work then I'm sure he'll welcome
          Pzdlre's extra knowledge. However, if he does indeed know about
          George's experiments and influences upon Charles, then David
          O'Dette's reply is more probably appropriate.
          Perhaps Dvb2dob would care to expand?
          Merry Christmas to all.
          Malkie

          --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "pzdlre" <pzdlre@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > Well, I thought it was George Ives who organized it, climbing at
          the
          > top of the church tower, and listening to his town band, divided
          in 4
          > groups, marching towards the church, each playing its part.
          > Is not it so?
          >

          > --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "David O'Dette" <dodette@>
          wrote:

          > > No one seems to have replied to this, so I'll belatedly do so.
          > >
          > > There is more than one such passage in Ives, but the
          quintessential
          > example is the second movement, Putnam's Camp, from Three Places in
          > New England.

        • anthony cole
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
            To me the quintessential Ives piece depicting the two bands etc is
            Decoration Day" ..........by the way, this was apparently Stravinsky's
            favourite among the Ives works he had heard - he compared it to TUQ, stating
            that the latter was somewhat moronic...........I must say that I agree with
            little IS about this............Tony

            I believe that Pzdlre is quite correct about George Ives and the
            town bands. It's a notion that has had influence on my own thoughts
            about the appeal of music. But Dvb2dob specifically asked "Which of
            Ives' works depicts two different marching bands playing different
            pieces at the same time?". "Depicts" is the key word for me and it's
            why I hadn't got around to replying earlier (that, not enough
            definitive knowledge on the subject, and pure bone idleness). If
            Dvd2bob was unaware of George Ives' work then I'm sure he'll welcome
            Pzdlre's extra knowledge. However, if he does indeed know about
            George's experiments and influences upon Charles, then David
            O'Dette's reply is more probably appropriate.
            Perhaps Dvb2dob would care to expand?
            Merry Christmas to all.
            Malkie

            --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "pzdlre" <pzdlre@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > Well, I thought it was George Ives who organized it, climbing at
            the
            > top of the church tower, and listening to his town band, divided
            in 4
            > groups, marching towards the church, each playing its part.
            > Is not it so?
            >

            > --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "David O'Dette" <dodette@>
            wrote:

            > > No one seems to have replied to this, so I'll belatedly do so.
            > >
            > > There is more than one such passage in Ives, but the
            quintessential
            > example is the second movement, Putnam's Camp, from Three Places in
            > New England.

          • dvb2dob
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2007
              Thank you all, very much, for your thoughtful replies.

              The George Ives story provides fascinating background, and I will
              look forward to listening to both Putnam's Camp and Decoration Day.

              I'm not an Ives scholar, so I can't expand my question very much.
              However, I do look forward to developing my knowledge and
              appreciating of this very interesting composer.

              Cheers,

              dvb

              --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "anthony cole" <tony@...> wrote:

              > To me the quintessential Ives piece depicting the two bands etc is
              > Decoration Day" ..........by the way, this was apparently
              Stravinsky's
              > favourite among the Ives works he had heard - he compared it to
              TUQ, stating
              > that the latter was somewhat moronic...........I must say that I
              agree with
              > little IS about this............Tony

              Bands"?