Intro

  • gerryhancock
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hi all

      This is just a short posting to introduce myself to the group. I am
      not in any way an expert on Ives or any composer. Indeed I admit
      that the first time I came across the music of Ives was when my
      daughter included the Nxos CD - Symphony No. 3 including Washinton's
      Birthday, The Unanswered Question, Central Park in the Dark, Country
      Band March and Overture and March '1776' - in my Christmas stocking
      this year. I have been listening almost non stop since. It is truly
      a wonderful introduction to Ives and I look forward to buying
      further recordings. I mention the Naxos CD but I am not sure if this
      is available on the US side of the Atlantic. I am writing from
      Ireland and have the feeling this group is probably mostly American.

      That's enough withering on for now. I look forward to following the
      postings here in 2004 and beyond. Happy New Year to all!

      Gerry Hancock
    • quartodeciman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
        The Naxos second Sinclair CD is on amazon.com and available in the
        states. Notice that our member super-reviewer Bob Zeidler has
        included his own evaluation.

        /B00007FKQM/qid=1073153683/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/102-5755443-7979355?
        v=glance&s=classical#product-details

        I am sure everyone wants to welcome you to the Ives group. Many of
        us have long experience with Ives' music and a fresh breeze on the
        subject will be valued. Just in case you haven't found it yourself,
        Scott Mortensen, who owns this forum, began with a website to review
        and describe Ives' music and recordings.

        http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Ives/index.htm

        Once again, welcome Gerry!

        quartodeciman
      • Frankie Camiola
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
          Welcome Gerry

          It's always nice to see new Ives converts. Yes, I agree 100% with you, the Naxos CD (with Sym. 3) is oustanding and one of my favorite Ives CD's. Just watch out, before you know it, you will start spening some dough on this stuff but it is well worth it. I actually got into Ives in the beginning of 2003 and I know own 20 CD's! Scott's website is an amazing resource to learn and explore the Ives catalog, along with some great reading. Bravo to Scott for all of the hard work that went into creating such an amazing and educational site. If I may do so, I would recommend getting the following sometime to hear some more incredible music performed wonderfully:

          Ives Sym. 1/ 4 - Tilson Thomas/ Chicago SO/Chorus
          Ives Holidays Symphony - Tilson Thomas/ Chicago SO/ Chorus
          Ives Piano Sonata No. 2 Concord, Mass - Lubimov (on Apex label)
          Orchestral Music of Ives - James Sinclair/ Orch New England (on Koch)

          They are all unbeatable recordings IMO and will reveal some more of the most amazing music ever written. This music never ceases to enthrall and amaze me - there is just so much musical material and detail in Ives' compostions - they reward themselves on repeated listenings. Anyway, good luck and please post any questions or comments that you may have during your discovery of Ives.

          Frankie

        • Gerry Hancock
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
            Thanks Jon and Frankie for your warm welcome to the group. I have stumbled
            across Scott's site and look forward to visiting and revisiting often. I am
            looking forward to obtaining some more Ives' work and will be glad to be
            guided by your suggestions in this. Thanks again guys.

            Gerry Hancock

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Gerry Hancock
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
              Sorry about mix up in names....thanks Frankie and quartodeciman!.....great
              name

              Gerry

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2004
                Hi, Gerry!

                Let me add my welcome to the others already here (and blush at
                the favorable mention of one of my Amazon.com reviews).

                I did a double-take when I first saw your name. Had you spelled
                it *Gerre* Hancock, I'd have been asking you if you were an
                organist. Gerre Hancock is one of America's finest pipe organ
                performers, at the St. Thomas Church in New York City.

                By all means, spend some time at Scott Mortenson's "A Charles
                Ives Web Site." This is a true labor of love, and a thoroughly
                professional one at that. (Don't ask me how Scott finds the time
                to do this, but he obviously does.)

                I've collected several of my favorite CDs and books about Charlie
                at these two Amazon "Listmanias." Feel free to browse. And feel
                free to take exception to my choices; they are, afer all, *my*
                choices (although most of them are pretty *universal*).

                For CDs, here is a *snipped* (shortened) URL for my list of
                favorites (always growing):

                http://snipurl.com/3n2d

                For books, here is a *snipped* URL for essential reading:

                http://snipurl.com/3n2e

                Again, welcome!

                Bob