Re: [charlesives] An Ivesian Moment

  • Russ Jenkins
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 4, 2007
      Thanks for sharing Scott. I've had similar experiences.

      Russ

      Scott Mortensen <Scottkmort@...> wrote:
      My family and I had an interesting experience today. I think Ives
      would have appreciated it. Thought I might share with all of you.

      My daughters are adopted from China, and we have many Chinese-American
      friends. This Sunday, some friends invited us to attend their Chinese
      Christian Church to celebrate the Chinese New Year.

      The entire service was in both Chinese and English. Sometimes the
      pastor would speak Chinese and another pastor would repeat the words in
      English. Other times, the first words were English and then the other
      pastor repeated them in Chinese.

      But the fascinating thing was that we sang the hymns simultaneously --
      in both Chinese and English. Very, very strange AND beautiful to hear
      this. It sounded so familiar AND so foreign at the same time. When we
      began singing "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing," I found myself
      choking up. Hard to explain. But it was profoundly moving and
      transformative -- and this mixture of familiar and strange all wrapped
      up in matters cosmic & spiritual immediately made me think of Ives.

      After the service, my wife and I talked about the service. We both
      agreed that Ives probably would have been bowled over, flattened,
      inspired -- just like we were.

      To all of you: Happy Chinese New Year!