Film of Fourth Symphony and Jose Serebrier

  • mskahuna2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
      Some time ago the film of the Stokowski performance of the Fourth
      Symphony was found by the Library of Congress. It's been cleaned up
      but copyright issues prevent its re issue. Anyway, clips of it can be
      seen. In December, Jose Serebrier told me something about the
      background, about Stokowski's interest in Ives and Serebrier's own
      recording some years later. His interest in new music goes back a
      long way and he's still championing American composers like Rorem and
      Lieberson. A remarkable personality !

      Anyway the article is below. Links to the film are embedded in the text.

      http://www.musicweb-international.com/SandH/2007/Jan-Jun07/serebrier.htm
    • scottyzpt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
        In a message dated 2/6/2007 2:18:42 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        anne.ozorio@... writes:

        His interest in new music goes back a
        long way and he's still championing American composers like Rorem and
        Lieberson. A remarkable personality !

        ____
        Hey.....I'm doing two hour and a half classes next week on Ives. Wish me
        luck.......Here's my playlist to go along with the script:
        Playlist for Ives

        1. Country Band March
        2. Fugue in F (written by father)
        3. Holiday Quickstep
        4. Psalm 100
        5. Variations on America
        6. Mountains and Steeples
        7. Fireman’s Parade….Hook and Ladder
        8. Here’s to Good Old Yale March
        9. Yale - Princeton Football Game
        10. 1st Symphony…..adagio
        11. Decoration Day…..from Holidays
        12. Washington’s Birthday……from Holidays
        13. Opera House……from Memories
        14. In the Night…..theatre music
        15. 1st String Quartet…..adagio
        16. 2nd String Quartet….."Arguments"
        17. Housatonic at Stockbridge…..from Three Places in New England
        18. Thoreau’s words……from Concord Suite
        19. Thoreau….Piano Sonota….from Concord Suite
        20. Christmas Carol….from Celestial Country…St Olaf choir
        21. Emerson Concerto
        22. Central Park in the Dark
        23. The Unanswered Question
        24. Browning Overture
        25. 4th Symphony…..The Universe….1st movement…"Past"
        26. 2nd Symphony…ending
        27. The Things Our Fathers Loved

        "I think there must be a place in the soul,
        All made of tunes, of tunes of long ago.
        I hear the organ on the main street corner,
        Aunt Sarah humming Gospels summer evenings
        The villiage cornet band, playing in the square.
        The town’s Red, White, and Blue, all Red, White and Blue.
        Now! Hear the songs! I know not what are the words
        But they sing in my soul of the things our Fathers loved."