chicken goerne

  • tony cole
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
      Yep - It appears that Matthias G. has chickened out of performing any of Charley's songs in his recitals at Wigmore Hall (20th, 22nd Feb.) - the programme is now totally of the sainted Franz S. I have decided (much as I admire Herr Goerne's voice) not to spend about £150 (inc. travel to London) for my partner and I to attend, and the Wig. H. people have graciously refinded the cost of my tickets.............Tony.

    • scottyzpt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
        In a message dated 1/13/2007 5:47:36 A.M. Central Standard Time,
        tony@... writes:

        It appears that Matthias G. has chickened out of performing any of Charley's
        songs in his recitals at Wigmore Hall

        _____
        What songs do you like? I have a couple of recordings, but don't really
        enjoy the songs....
        Scotty

      • Michael Shaffer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
          why don't you like the songs?

          interested -- never heard this comment before --

          ms

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
            >What songs do you like? I have a couple of recordings, but don't really
            >enjoy the songs....
            >Scotty

            Scotty,

            Do you dislike art songs / vocals in general? Or do you just not enjoy
            Ives' songs in particular?

            I love almost ALL of them. I also think of his songs as very central to his
            whole output as a composer.

            Do you prefer the orchestral works?

            Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page
            www.live.com/?addtemplate=football&icid=T001MSN30A0701
          • tony cole

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
                In a message dated 1/13/2007 10:08:47 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                music@... writes:

                why don't you like the songs?

                interested -- never heard this comment before --

                _____
                I don't mean exactly that I don't like them, it's just that I prefer his
                instrumentals to listen to. The one song I really do like, and which I will use
                as the closing for my class because it fits so well is, The Things Our
                Fathers Loved.

                I'm not pretending to be some expert on Ives, but lives a couple of years in
                Danbury, and am a Connecticut Yankee myself. Got interested in his music
                when I did a presentation on American Composers, and another on Nationalistic
                music, and realized his nationalistic style with the blending of hymns, folk
                stuff, patriotic.....and was very much at home with it.

                I was hoping this was a list where I could get more depth on Ives. Maybe
                someone who knew him.
                Scotty

              • scottyzpt@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
                  In a message dated 1/13/2007 1:56:40 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                  Scottkmort@... writes:

                  Do you prefer the orchestral works?

                  _____
                  Yes, but I do admit to liking some of the songs in Celestial Country. I
                  have the St Olaf's choir album, and the acapella numbers are very nicely done.
                  But yes.....I do have to admit to liking Thanksgiving and his Second
                  Symphony, and the Concord piano sonotas.
                  Scotty

                • scottyzpt@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
                    In a message dated 1/13/2007 5:04:34 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                    tony@... writes:

                    Tom Sails Away, Charlie Rutlage, Memories, Like a Sick Eagle, Gen. Wm
                    Booth..., Two Little Flowers, Tolerance, Walking, The Indians.....T

                    _____
                    I do have recordings of those, so maybe i should go through them again. I
                    have to admit that I was weeding through for my presentation, and didn't focus
                    on the songs. I do like that little ditty about Sitting in the Opera House,
                    though.
                    Scotty

                  • Anne Ozorio
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
                      On 13 Jan 2007 at 23:00, tony cole wrote:

                      > Well, Scotty, to me the Ives' songs are absolutely central to his whole
                      output, and I would be sadder never to hear any of the songs again
                      than
                      I would to be banned from the orchestral, instrumental or chamber
                      music.
                      It's difficult for me to choose from among them, but a quick list
                      of my
                      favourites would include songs as diverse as: Tom Sails Away,
                      Charlie
                      Rutlage, Memories, Like a Sick Eagle, Gen. Wm Booth..., Two Little
                      Flowers, Tolerance, Walking, The Indians.........Tony

                      Well, perhaps you are hinting at the essence of why Ives isn't a
                      European composer. Despite being a song person thru and thru, Ives
                      songs were harder for me to cope with than European art song because
                      the whole ethos is different. It's really hard to explain and I
                      don't even know if I can, it's fairly fundamental. Think about
                      Fischer-Dieskau, a fish out of water in Ives. (but then, he's
                      unidiomatic in other music too, except that no one dared to tell him -
                      he recorded everything willy nilly) A pity Goerne isn't singing,
                      because it would be interesting to hear what someone who can
                      understand Eisler so well could do with Ives. On the other hand,
                      Goerne doesn't like Weill, who might be more comparable. Weill and
                      Eisler are completely different, but then I digress...

                      Anne
                      anne.ozorio@...
                    • scottyzpt@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
                        In a message dated 1/13/2007 5:49:49 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                        anne.ozorio@... writes:

                        On the other hand,
                        Goerne doesn't like Weill, who might be more comparable. Weill and
                        Eisler are completely different, but then I digress...

                        _____
                        Yup.....you've digressed past me.
                        By the way.....I said Thanksgiving was one I liked......really, Washington's
                        Birthday is my favorite of the Holidays.

                        <<<Well, perhaps you are hinting at the essence of why Ives isn't a
                        European composer. Despite being a song person thru and thru, Ives
                        songs were harder for me to cope with than European art song because
                        the whole ethos is different.

                        Not really......I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the difference. I'd be
                        interested in hearing more about what you said, if you have time. I guess
                        it's really that I went to Ives as much because he seemed almost like a New
                        England neighbor as for any other reason, and then read biography for the same
                        reason.....and encountered many places and names that I was familiar with.
                        When I started doing the music class, doing a class on Ives was something I
                        wanted to do to acquaint others with him and with his work.....although I'm
                        more inclined to say "his play" than "his work".
                        Scotty