Selected Correspondence of Charles Ives

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2007
      Just stumbled across this while poking around on the web. Should be
      interesting. But $45 is pricey!

      *************

      Charles Ives
      Selected Correspondence of Charles Ives
      Edited by Tom C. Owens
      $45.00, £29.95 hardcover
      978-0-520-24606-5
      Due May 2007
      370 pages, 7 x 10 inches, 31 b/w photographs, 4 music examples

      http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10262.html

      "This is an extremely important work that makes available many hard-
      to-access primary resources. Owens writes clearly in a
      straightforward and uncluttered style; his editorial remarks are
      fresh and insightful. The book expands our understanding of Ives's
      works within the context of early twentieth century modern musical
      culture as it humanizes the man and reveals the complexities of his
      personality."--Denise Von Glahn, author of Sounds of Place: Music and
      the American Cultural Landscape (2004 ASCAP-Deems Taylor Award winner)

      ******************

      Haven't been listening much to Charlie lately. Still need to write up
      a couple reviews. I'm deep in a jazz groove lately. Lots and lots
      of Ellington -- plus quite a bit of contemporary stuff. My listening
      seems to go in cycles!
    • anthony cole
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2007
        Well done, Scott! - and by UK book prices this is pretty average - have ordered already...........Tony

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2007
          In a message dated 1/11/2007 11:44:56 A.M. Central Standard Time,
          Scottkmort@... writes:

          Haven't been listening much to Charlie lately. Still need to write up
          a couple reviews. I'm deep in a jazz groove lately. Lots and lots
          of Ellington -- plus quite a bit of contemporary stuff. My listening
          seems to go in cycles!

          _____
          I just finished recording exerpts for an hour and a half presentation in two
          places......a Classical group at our church, and at the Center for Lifelong
          learning at the local college. It about killed me to cut down to the "esse
          ntial pieces", and a text from one of his biographies.
          Will also talk about visiting his gravesite.
          Scotty