Re: New Ives on Naxos

  • Georgie
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 19, 2006
      Many thanks, Scott, for your opinion. And thanks to Frank for
      providing the link. I have always regarded the 2 Ives quartets as
      my favorites --- BY FAR! Any comparisons with the CD from the
      Flux Quartet (endorsed by our friend Johnny Reinhard) using
      extended Pythagorian tuning ?

      Georgie Matusek

      --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mortensen"

      http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.559178
      #
      > > Blair String Quartet - SQ's No. 1 and 2.
      > >
      > I got a reviewer's copy of this in the mail last night, and I
      listened
      > to it on the way into work this morning. It was early, and I was
      > tired. Obviously, I haven't had time to fully absorb it yet.
      >
      > But my first impression of this recording is that it's the BEST
      version
      > of Ives' SQs that I've ever heard.
      >
      > The finale of the 2nd SQ made the hair on the back of my neck
      stand up.
      > And the 1st was fabulous too.
      >
      > Full review to come on MusicWeb and Ives site...
      >
      > Scott

    • tony cole
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
        Well, Scott, hopefully you've now had time to listen again to this wonderful CD in a less tired state.........it's quite likely that your original impression will be reinforced, and I, too, am beginning to regard these performances as up there with the very best (which for me means the 40-year old Juilliard recording, and, even more so, Dan Stepner's Lydian SQ of 1988). The Blairs play absolutely beautifully, and their firmament-glimpsing ending of SQ 2 is radiant indeed. Interestingly, they take this movement quite a bit slower (one and a half minutes, in fact) than on the two above-mentioned recordings. Perhaps I do miss a bit of the Juilliard's masculine edge, and a little of the Lydian's energy and their recording's wonderful separation of the four players (how clearly you can hear the viola bringing out "Bethany"). I guess, though, that many people will hear these quartets for the very first time in this new Naxos recording, and we Ivesians could hardly wish for naive ears to hear better performances. Tony