Re: [charlesives] Re: New Ives on Naxos

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 18, 2006
      From: "Scott Mortensen" <Scottkmort@...>
      > I got a reviewer's copy of this in the mail last night, and I listened
      > to it on the way into work this morning. It was early, and I was
      > tired. Obviously, I haven't had time to fully absorb it yet.
      >
      > But my first impression of this recording is that it's the BEST version
      > of Ives' SQs that I've ever heard.
      >
      > The finale of the 2nd SQ made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
      > And the 1st was fabulous too.
      >
      > Full review to come on MusicWeb and Ives site...
      >
      > Scott

      WOW. That is very good news!

      I've been hitting SQ#2 many times in the past few days (Juilliard) - I am
      certainly getting better acquanted with this piece than ever before. It
      certainly takes a great deal of concentration, but yields some very worthy
      rewards. I have been picking up on many subtleties that I have (quite
      frankly) never "heard" before. The second movement just kicks my ass into
      the next universe! Great, great stuff. And the other two movements are just
      SO deep. I am beginning to see why this is considered one of Ives' greatest
      works.

      I will place my pre-order tonight for the Naxos. Thanks for the heads-up
      Scott.

      Frankie
    • Georgie
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 19, 2006
        Many thanks, Scott, for your opinion. And thanks to Frank for
        providing the link. I have always regarded the 2 Ives quartets as
        my favorites --- BY FAR! Any comparisons with the CD from the
        Flux Quartet (endorsed by our friend Johnny Reinhard) using
        extended Pythagorian tuning ?

        Georgie Matusek

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mortensen"

        http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.559178
        #
        > > Blair String Quartet - SQ's No. 1 and 2.
        > >
        > I got a reviewer's copy of this in the mail last night, and I
        listened
        > to it on the way into work this morning. It was early, and I was
        > tired. Obviously, I haven't had time to fully absorb it yet.
        >
        > But my first impression of this recording is that it's the BEST
        version
        > of Ives' SQs that I've ever heard.
        >
        > The finale of the 2nd SQ made the hair on the back of my neck
        stand up.
        > And the 1st was fabulous too.
        >
        > Full review to come on MusicWeb and Ives site...
        >
        > Scott

      • tony cole
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
          Well, Scott, hopefully you've now had time to listen again to this wonderful CD in a less tired state.........it's quite likely that your original impression will be reinforced, and I, too, am beginning to regard these performances as up there with the very best (which for me means the 40-year old Juilliard recording, and, even more so, Dan Stepner's Lydian SQ of 1988). The Blairs play absolutely beautifully, and their firmament-glimpsing ending of SQ 2 is radiant indeed. Interestingly, they take this movement quite a bit slower (one and a half minutes, in fact) than on the two above-mentioned recordings. Perhaps I do miss a bit of the Juilliard's masculine edge, and a little of the Lydian's energy and their recording's wonderful separation of the four players (how clearly you can hear the viola bringing out "Bethany"). I guess, though, that many people will hear these quartets for the very first time in this new Naxos recording, and we Ivesians could hardly wish for naive ears to hear better performances. Tony