Re: [charlesives] New Ives on Naxos

  • Anne Ozorio
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
      On 1 Oct 2006 at 7:19, tony cole wrote:

      > Being released tomorrow in UK................Tony
      > ps: Advance notice for those who might be in London next Feb. - Matthias Goerne will give two recitals pairing Ives and Schubert at Wigmore Hall on 20th/22nd

      You will need to get your ticket request in as soon as they let you.
      I'll book for anyone who isn't on the Friends booking, (but you'll
      have to pay me back) It should be an interesting experience as
      Goerne is very fond of 20th century music. He also learns a composer
      by absorbing "all" his works, to understand the music more deeply.
      Unlike many singers who "point and shoot".

      Anne
      anne.ozorio@...
    • tony cole
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
        Anne, Do you know, by any chance, whether Herr Goerne will give two distinct programmes on the two evenings, or if it will be one recital given twice? I have emailed the W.Hall but have had no reply as yet.........Tony.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
          Tony, will you be attending the Goerne concert? If so, please report back
          to us!

          >From: "tony cole" <tony@...>
          >To: <charlesives@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [charlesives] New Ives on Naxos
          >Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 07:19:03 +0100
          >
          >Being released tomorrow in UK................Tony
          >ps: Advance notice for those who might be in London next Feb. - Matthias
          >Goerne will give two recitals pairing Ives and Schubert at Wigmore Hall on
          >20th/22nd

        • anthony cole
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
            Yes, Scott, I certainly hope to.......As Anne indicates tickets will go like the proverbial h.cs, so I'll send off my priority order soon. I have found out that he's giving the same recital on each of the two days which will make it easier to secure seats. I imagine that he's going to concentrate on Charley's "lieder" (as DF-D did in his recording). Tony
            Tony, will you be attending the Goerne concert? If so, please report back
            to us!

            >From: "tony cole" <tony@...>
            >To: <charlesives@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [charlesives] New Ives on Naxos
            >Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 07:19:03 +0100
            >
            >Being released tomorrow in UK................Tony
            >ps: Advance notice for those who might be in London next Feb. - Matthias
            >Goerne will give two recitals pairing Ives and Schubert at Wigmore Hall on
            >20th/22nd

          • Anne Ozorio
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
              On 3 Oct 2006 at 6:24, anthony cole wrote:

              > Yes, Scott, I certainly hope to.......As Anne indicates tickets will go like
              the proverbial h.cs, so I'll send off my priority order soon. I have found out
              that he's giving the same recital on each of the two days which will make it
              easier to secure seats. I imagine that he's going to concentrate on
              Charley's "lieder" (as DF-D did in his recording). Tony

              On the other hand this is a singer who always surprises in his choice
              of programme, and seldom plays safe.....

              Anne
              anne.ozorio@...
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 18, 2006
                --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Camiola" <fcamiola@...>
                wrote:

                > http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.559178#
                > Blair String Quartet - SQ's No. 1 and 2. No other info is listed.

                I got a reviewer's copy of this in the mail last night, and I listened
                to it on the way into work this morning. It was early, and I was
                tired. Obviously, I haven't had time to fully absorb it yet.

                But my first impression of this recording is that it's the BEST version
                of Ives' SQs that I've ever heard.

                The finale of the 2nd SQ made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
                And the 1st was fabulous too.

                Full review to come on MusicWeb and Ives site...

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 18, 2006
                  From: "Scott Mortensen" <Scottkmort@...>
                  > I got a reviewer's copy of this in the mail last night, and I listened
                  > to it on the way into work this morning. It was early, and I was
                  > tired. Obviously, I haven't had time to fully absorb it yet.
                  >
                  > But my first impression of this recording is that it's the BEST version
                  > of Ives' SQs that I've ever heard.
                  >
                  > The finale of the 2nd SQ made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
                  > And the 1st was fabulous too.
                  >
                  > Full review to come on MusicWeb and Ives site...
                  >
                  > Scott

                  WOW. That is very good news!

                  I've been hitting SQ#2 many times in the past few days (Juilliard) - I am
                  certainly getting better acquanted with this piece than ever before. It
                  certainly takes a great deal of concentration, but yields some very worthy
                  rewards. I have been picking up on many subtleties that I have (quite
                  frankly) never "heard" before. The second movement just kicks my ass into
                  the next universe! Great, great stuff. And the other two movements are just
                  SO deep. I am beginning to see why this is considered one of Ives' greatest
                  works.

                  I will place my pre-order tonight for the Naxos. Thanks for the heads-up
                  Scott.

                  Frankie
                • Georgie
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 19, 2006
                    Many thanks, Scott, for your opinion. And thanks to Frank for
                    providing the link. I have always regarded the 2 Ives quartets as
                    my favorites --- BY FAR! Any comparisons with the CD from the
                    Flux Quartet (endorsed by our friend Johnny Reinhard) using
                    extended Pythagorian tuning ?

                    Georgie Matusek

                    --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mortensen"

                    #
                    > > Blair String Quartet - SQ's No. 1 and 2.
                    > >
                    > I got a reviewer's copy of this in the mail last night, and I
                    listened
                    > to it on the way into work this morning. It was early, and I was
                    > tired. Obviously, I haven't had time to fully absorb it yet.
                    >
                    > But my first impression of this recording is that it's the BEST
                    version
                    > of Ives' SQs that I've ever heard.
                    >
                    > The finale of the 2nd SQ made the hair on the back of my neck
                    stand up.
                    > And the 1st was fabulous too.
                    >
                    > Full review to come on MusicWeb and Ives site...
                    >
                    > Scott

                  • tony cole
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 22, 2006
                      Well, Scott, hopefully you've now had time to listen again to this wonderful CD in a less tired state.........it's quite likely that your original impression will be reinforced, and I, too, am beginning to regard these performances as up there with the very best (which for me means the 40-year old Juilliard recording, and, even more so, Dan Stepner's Lydian SQ of 1988). The Blairs play absolutely beautifully, and their firmament-glimpsing ending of SQ 2 is radiant indeed. Interestingly, they take this movement quite a bit slower (one and a half minutes, in fact) than on the two above-mentioned recordings. Perhaps I do miss a bit of the Juilliard's masculine edge, and a little of the Lydian's energy and their recording's wonderful separation of the four players (how clearly you can hear the viola bringing out "Bethany"). I guess, though, that many people will hear these quartets for the very first time in this new Naxos recording, and we Ivesians could hardly wish for naive ears to hear better performances. Tony