Re: Charles Ives on Wikipedia

  • Patrick Petit
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2006
      I have read in this article some détails wich seems inacurates, but i
      am not very sure . For example "Early supporters of his music included
      Henry Cowell and Elliott Carter" about Cowell it's exact but Carter ?
      Was he very active to support the Ives music ?
      And this "His obscurity began to lift a little in the 1940s, when he
      met Lou Harrison, a fan of his music who began to edit and promote it.
      " I think that John Kirkpatrick was more important than Harrison, and
      he is not mentionned in the article.

      Patrick

      --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "tony cole" <tony@...> wrote:

      > Overall, Patrick, not a bad article, I think - there are bound to be
      small areas of inaccuracy visible to experts (as Johnny has pointed
      out). The hypertext links are useful, though most of us will know
      about the CEI Soc. etc. I was interested in "Art of the States",
      which I didn't know about before; the two pieces available to listen
      to complete in the entry for Charley represent the two poles of his
      output: the 1st SQ (the Concord SQ Nonesuch recording) and the 3
      Quarter-Tone Pieces (Berman & Drury). I shall explore and listen to
      some of the other composers represented in this quite nicely organised
      website. Tony

    • Michael Shaffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 18, 2006
        I feel that anyone who was willing to spread the
        word about CEI made an important contribution --
        there is no better or best -- Lou Harrison got
        Ives the Pulitzer and he facilitated the Universe
        Symphony "realization" -- Kirkpatrick did a lot
        to have Ives work indexed at Yale and his
        contribution to the Concord is historic -

        and btw: I don't expect Wikipedia to do the sort
        of article that isn't based on the typical
        mis-information -- Charles Ives still needs a PR
        firm to get his story out there and get it right
        -- this article is not much worse or better than
        most of the liner notes on Ives records -- it's just superficial --

        ms