Re: [charlesives] Charles Ives on Wikipedia

  • tony cole
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 17, 2006
      Overall, Patrick, not a bad article, I think - there are bound to be small areas of inaccuracy visible to experts (as Johnny has pointed out). The hypertext links are useful, though most of us will know about the CEI Soc. etc. I was interested in "Art of the States", which I didn't know about before; the two pieces available to listen to complete in the entry for Charley represent the two poles of his output: the 1st SQ (the Concord SQ Nonesuch recording) and the 3 Quarter-Tone Pieces (Berman & Drury). I shall explore and listen to some of the other composers represented in this quite nicely organised website. Tony
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 18, 2006
        I have read in this article some détails wich seems inacurates, but i
        am not very sure . For example "Early supporters of his music included
        Henry Cowell and Elliott Carter" about Cowell it's exact but Carter ?
        Was he very active to support the Ives music ?
        And this "His obscurity began to lift a little in the 1940s, when he
        met Lou Harrison, a fan of his music who began to edit and promote it.
        " I think that John Kirkpatrick was more important than Harrison, and
        he is not mentionned in the article.

        Patrick

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "tony cole" <tony@...> wrote:

        > Overall, Patrick, not a bad article, I think - there are bound to be
        small areas of inaccuracy visible to experts (as Johnny has pointed
        out). The hypertext links are useful, though most of us will know
        about the CEI Soc. etc. I was interested in "Art of the States",
        which I didn't know about before; the two pieces available to listen
        to complete in the entry for Charley represent the two poles of his
        output: the 1st SQ (the Concord SQ Nonesuch recording) and the 3
        Quarter-Tone Pieces (Berman & Drury). I shall explore and listen to
        some of the other composers represented in this quite nicely organised
        website. Tony

      • Michael Shaffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 18, 2006
          I feel that anyone who was willing to spread the
          word about CEI made an important contribution --
          there is no better or best -- Lou Harrison got
          Ives the Pulitzer and he facilitated the Universe
          Symphony "realization" -- Kirkpatrick did a lot
          to have Ives work indexed at Yale and his
          contribution to the Concord is historic -

          and btw: I don't expect Wikipedia to do the sort
          of article that isn't based on the typical
          mis-information -- Charles Ives still needs a PR
          firm to get his story out there and get it right
          -- this article is not much worse or better than
          most of the liner notes on Ives records -- it's just superficial --

          ms