Re: Silence Unaccompanied.

  • RRZeidler@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2003
      Anne writes:

      > I love "When the moon" and Narucki. Definitely recommended!

      ----------------------------

      Oh, absolutely, Anne (and Scott)!

      I've gotten to know Richard Bernas, at least in a cyber-sense.
      Richard posts occasionally on the message board I frequent
      most often. A really nice -- and knowledgeable -- guy. We've done
      our share of swapping stories about Charlie.

      I owe him a review of "When the Moon." It's now looooooong
      overdue. :-(

      And I need to get back to "Silence Unaccompanied" following
      your wonderful commentary, Anne. I've been busy doing my
      "Berlioz Bicentennial thing" this week. But the week is about up.
      :-)

      Bob
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 17, 2003
        Bob,

        What have you been listening to Berlioz-wise?

        >From: RRZeidler@...
        >To: charlesives@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [charlesives] Re: Silence Unaccompanied.
        >Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:52:43 -0000
        >
        >Anne writes:
        > >
        > > I love "When the moon" and Narucki. Definitely recommended!
        >
        >----------------------------
        >
        >Oh, absolutely, Anne (and Scott)!
        >
        >I've gotten to know Richard Bernas, at least in a cyber-sense.
        >Richard posts occasionally on the message board I frequent
        >most often. A really nice -- and knowledgeable -- guy. We've done
        >our share of swapping stories about Charlie.
        >
        >I owe him a review of "When the Moon." It's now looooooong
        >overdue. :-(
        >
        >And I need to get back to "Silence Unaccompanied" following
        >your wonderful commentary, Anne. I've been busy doing my
        >"Berlioz Bicentennial thing" this week. But the week is about up.
        >:-)
        >
        >Bob

      • Bob Zeidler
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
          Scott writes:

          > Bob,
          >
          > What have you been listening to Berlioz-wise?

          ---------------------------------------

          Scott, I had this wild and crazy idea to use the actual week of the
          bicentennial for writing reviews of Hector's stuff that I hadn't
          already reviewed at Amazon. (Sort of like using Thanksgiving Day
          to write my review of MTT's recording of the "Holidays"
          Symphony.)

          I ended up putting too much pressure on myself, and only got
          about a half-dozen reviews done during the week. In the
          process, I've managed to listen to virtually everything but "Romeo
          et Juliette" and the "Te Deum" (previously reviewed) and two of
          the three operas ("Béatrice et Bénédict" being the only one
          could find the time to squeeze in).

          The week has now officially ended, but I'll at least squeeze in
          "L'Enfance du Christ" as a late arrival since this is also Advent for
          the Christian world. And then it's on to other things. :-)

          Bob
        • Anne Ozorio
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
            Wer had back to back, wall to wall Berlioz in UK this week. All day
            Sunday it was Berlioz day, and every day during the week a few hours
            too covering the whole range. Even beats Elvis week, if they had
            one. Personally I wonder how Ives would have heard Berlioz. Berlioz
            is so into effects and grandiose geatures, to grab an audience with
            excitement. Ives uses effects but to create an sound world which
            means something to him. They seem veruy different personalities.

            Have you heard the Enfance with Herreweghe and Veronique Gens ?

            Happy holidays (just cleaning the house and scrubbing the oven)
            Anne

            Anne
            anne.ozorio@...
          • Bob Zeidler
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2003
              Anne writes:

              >Personally I wonder how Ives would have heard Berlioz. Berlioz
              is so into effects and grandiose geatures, to grab an audience
              with excitement. Ives uses effects but to create an sound world
              which means something to him. They seem veruy different
              personalities.

              --------------------------------

              There would seem to be little doubt that ives was familiar with
              Berlioz, at least the Symphonie fantastique, from the perspective
              of being a frequent concert-goer. There's not much overlap in
              their respective musical aesthetics, although Robert Morgan
              ("Ives and Mahler: Mutual Responses at the End of an Era") saw
              a connection from Berlioz to Ives/Mahler through Berlioz's use of
              heterophony. A link, but a weak link.

              > Have you heard the Enfance with Herreweghe and Veronique
              Gens ?

              No, I haven't. My current favorite L'Enfance is Gardiner's with
              Anne Sofie von Otter (the "all-purpose mezzo of our time," I
              guess).

              But I'm in love with Veronique Gens; truly, madly deeply (sic):

              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005A9ND/

              And Happy Holidays back atcha, Anne, if we don't connect again
              before Christmas.

              Bob