Gustav listened

  • Gene Halaburt
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
      Think CEI would smile reading this...

      From H.-L. de la Grange, MAHLER, Doubleday, 1973; Volume One, p. 585:

      (Mahler had announced the completion of his
      Fourth Symphony on August 5, 1900. He said
      he did so sadly, for he suddenly felt "empty and
      depressed because life has lost all meaning.")

      Fortunately Wondra, one of the chief officials at
      the Vienna Opera, arrived to discuss the
      repertoire of the coming season with him, and
      they took long walks together. During one of
      these the sound of a barrel organ, which
      delighted Wondra, upset Mahler considerably.
      However, when a second barrel organ struck up and
      threatened to drown out the first, he
      began to enjoy himself, whereas Wondra became
      exasperated. A military band soon joined
      in the fun, whereat Wandra covered up his ears in
      despair while Mahler stood listening in
      ecstasy, as though rooted to the spot.

      Recounting this incident to Rosé, Mahler added
      that his reaction should not surprise anyone
      who liked his symphonies. Thereafter, he often
      returned to the same spot to hear distant melodies,
      military bands, and male choruses mingle with the
      noise of merry-go-rounds, shooting booths,
      and puppet shows, which came across the lake with
      prodigious clarity. "There's polyphony for
      you!" he exclaimed, as he evoked childhood
      memories of the forest of Iglau. "It's precisely thus
      that themes should come from different
      directions, with distinct rhythms and melodies, in music,
      except that in the latter the artist must adapt,
      order, and unite them into a harmonious whole."

      -Gene Halaburt
    • Bruce Hodges
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
        What a great excerpt, Gene! Totally agree that Ives would have been
        delighted. Thanks for posting that...

        --Bruce

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, Gene Halaburt <ghal@...> wrote:

        > Think CEI would smile reading this...
        >
        > From H.-L. de la Grange, MAHLER, Doubleday, 1973; Volume One, p.
        585:

        > (Mahler had announced the completion of his
        > Fourth Symphony on August 5, 1900. He said
        > he did so sadly, for he suddenly felt "empty and
        > depressed because life has lost all meaning.")
        >
        > Fortunately Wondra, one of the chief officials at
        > the Vienna Opera, arrived to discuss the
        > repertoire of the coming season with him, and
        > they took long walks together. During one of
        > these the sound of a barrel organ, which
        > delighted Wondra, upset Mahler considerably.
        > However, when a second barrel organ struck up and
        > threatened to drown out the first, he
        > began to enjoy himself, whereas Wondra became
        > exasperated. A military band soon joined
        > in the fun, whereat Wandra covered up his ears in
        > despair while Mahler stood listening in
        > ecstasy, as though rooted to the spot.
        >
        > Recounting this incident to Rosé, Mahler added
        > that his reaction should not surprise anyone
        > who liked his symphonies. Thereafter, he often
        > returned to the same spot to hear distant melodies,
        > military bands, and male choruses mingle with the
        > noise of merry-go-rounds, shooting booths,
        > and puppet shows, which came across the lake with
        > prodigious clarity. "There's polyphony for
        > you!" he exclaimed, as he evoked childhood
        > memories of the forest of Iglau. "It's precisely thus
        > that themes should come from different
        > directions, with distinct rhythms and melodies, in music,
        > except that in the latter the artist must adapt,
        > order, and unite them into a harmonious whole."
        >
        > -Gene Halaburt

      • Douglas Jordon
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
          --- Bruce Hodges <BHODGES@...> wrote:

          > What a great excerpt, Gene! Totally agree that Ives
          > would have been
          > delighted.

          After saying, "I heard it first!".

          Just another indication of how far ahead the Iveses were.