Re: [charlesives] Re: Ives and Myrick

  • Daniel Plante
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
      Just an update. Ives and Myrick became an agency of Mutual of New York, although it didn't become the company itself. (MONY, by the way, supported some of the first all-Ives concerts in New York in the early 70s at the outset of the Ives Revival)

      However, as of a little more than a year ago, Mutual of New York was purchased by and became a wholly-owned subsidiary of AXA Financial, Inc, which itself was a subsidary of the French multinational financial services megacorporation AXA GROUP. If that name doesn't sound familiar (the name is plastered all over the movie Bend It Like Beckham), it was the company that purchased another venerable American insurance firm, Equitable, about a decade ago. After some years, Equitable lost its name and became AXA Financial. Although MONY still carries its own name, the two companies are, in fact, one, run by the same people in the same offices. I would imagine after some time, MONY, as a brand name, will also lose its name as well. That's the way these things go. I'm sure, however, that no one at AXA has ever heard of Ives, what he did for Insurance, or what he did for music.

      This is probably more than anyone ever wanted to know.

      Dan Plante

      Joseph Baldassarre <jbaldas@...> wrote:
      How 'bout that? Thanks much!
      joe

      Dr Joseph A. Baldassarre
      Professor of Music at Boise State University
      Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
      Office phone: (208) 426-1507
      Or come visit my nifty personal website at
      http://www.drjoeb.com
      - or my University website -
      http://www.boisestate.edu/music/baldassarre.html

      >>> "cornuyer22" <cornuyer22@...> 6/28/2006 10:36 AM >>>
      Ives and Myrick became MONY (Mutual of New York).

      --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "joseph_baldassarre" <jbaldas@...>
      wrote:

      > Does anyone know (for certain) if Ives and Myrick still exists,
      > perhaps under a different name. Could it have been usurped by
      another
      > company? I had heard from 3 different Music History profs that it
      was
      > now Prudential, Hartford and Aetna, but have found no evidence of
      any
      > of these being factual.
      > thanks
      > dr.joe