John Kirkpatrick's Concord

  • cornuyer22
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
      I have a copy of the LP of Kirkpatrick's Concord Sonata. I am
      dumbfounded as to why this has never been released on CD. It is
      certainly one of, if not the, most important recordings ever made of
      any music by Ives, let alone this work. For historical importance
      alone it incomparable. Finally, it is a truly brilliant performance.
      I can't believe that Columbia Records, with the proper marketing,
      would not do extremely well with a reissue of this including
      Kirkpatrick's own notes as well as other documentation. This is a
      huge gap in the available Ives catalogue. Perhaps there should be a
      ground swell of Ivesians demanding its release.
    • anthony cole
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
        Absolutely agree............but which recording are you referring to, the "original" Columbia ML4250 or the later MS7192? Tony
        I have a copy of the LP of Kirkpatrick's Concord Sonata. I am
        dumbfounded as to why this has never been released on CD. It is
        certainly one of, if not the, most important recordings ever made of
        any music by Ives, let alone this work. For historical importance
        alone it incomparable. Finally, it is a truly brilliant performance.
        I can't believe that Columbia Records, with the proper marketing,
        would not do extremely well with a reissue of this including
        Kirkpatrick's own notes as well as other documentation. This is a
        huge gap in the available Ives catalogue. Perhaps there should be a
        ground swell of Ivesians demanding its release.

        Classical Classical composers Indian classical music

      • Michael Shaffer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
          Hear hear! -- but this is the issue of mass marketing not only
          Charles Ives, but modern "classical" music itself -- someone will
          come along -- the Sol Hurok of modern music and will teach the
          Columbia Records of the world that there is an audience, especially a
          sophisticated global one -- Columbia's demographic workup (if they
          even did one) on the Kirkpartrick Concord probably told them they
          might lose money on the re-release -- especially in an environment
          where one CD is bought and a value pak of 50 blank CD's is being
          bought at the same time -- I could go on....

          At 12:08 PM 6/3/06, you wrote:
          >I have a copy of the LP of Kirkpatrick's Concord Sonata. I am
          >dumbfounded as to why this has never been released on CD. It is
          >certainly one of, if not the, most important recordings ever made of
          >any music by Ives, let alone this work. For historical importance
          >alone it incomparable. Finally, it is a truly brilliant performance.
          >I can't believe that Columbia Records, with the proper marketing,
          >would not do extremely well with a reissue of this including
          >Kirkpatrick's own notes as well as other documentation. This is a
          >huge gap in the available Ives catalogue. Perhaps there should be a
          >ground swell of Ivesians demanding its release.

          >music
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Classical+sheet+music&w1=Classical+music&w2=Classical+sheet+music&w3=Classical+music+online&w4=Classical&w5=Classical+composers&w6=Indian+classical+music&c=6&s=144&.sig=cjOb3rtEoz6dgYfmLLVzZw>Classical
          >sheet music
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Classical+music+online&w1=Classical+music&w2=Classical+sheet+music&w3=Classical+music+online&w4=Classical&w5=Classical+composers&w6=Indian+classical+music&c=6&s=144&.sig=Z7t7FqndjZeSuU5uGltwtA>Classical
          >music online
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Classical&w1=Classical+music&w2=Classical+sheet+music&w3=Classical+music+online&w4=Classical&w5=Classical+composers&w6=Indian+classical+music&c=6&s=144&.sig=TZn9BG1Vlr7DhRik9K5HNA>Classical
          >composers
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Indian+classical+music&w1=Classical+music&w2=Classical+sheet+music&w3=Classical+music+online&w4=Classical&w5=Classical+composers&w6=Indian+classical+music&c=6&s=144&.sig=Y8GqbjCvzttTE6Tr5uKBDw>Indian
          >classical music

          > *

        • cornuyer22
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
            I'm referring to the later version MS7192. I've never heard nor been
            able to find the ealier version. On the other hand, I was lucky
            enough to hear Kirkpatrick play the piece live in Concord, Mass. I
            believe it was 1976. I'll never forget it.

            --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "anthony cole" <tony@...> wrote:

            > Absolutely agree............but which recording are you referring
            to, the "original" Columbia ML4250 or the later MS7192? Tony

            Service.

          • Patrick Petit
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
              Both are excellents ,personnally i prefer the first 1948 recording,
              for his intimacy and his accuracy, as if Kirkpatrick played not from
              the score but from the essays, the second is more demonstrative and
              extrovert but impressive too.

              Patrick

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
                > > I have a copy of the LP of Kirkpatrick's Concord Sonata. I am
                > > dumbfounded as to why this has never been released on CD. It is
                > > certainly one of, if not the, most important recordings ever made of
                > > any music by Ives, let alone this work. For historical importance
                > > alone it incomparable. Finally, it is a truly brilliant
                performance.
                > > I can't believe that Columbia Records, with the proper marketing,
                > > would not do extremely well with a reissue of this including
                > > Kirkpatrick's own notes as well as other documentation. This is a
                > > huge gap in the available Ives catalogue. Perhaps there should be a
                > > ground swell of Ivesians demanding its release.

                Can we get a tree (or weed, distribution, etc?) of this recording available
                to us poor old sods on this great list who haven't been fortunate to hear
                it? Just a thought.

                Frankie