Re: [charlesives] New Ives symphonies recordings from Andrew Litton / Dallas SO

  • Russ Jenkins
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17 9:25 PM
      I was in attendance for the first DSO Ives performance. They opened with VOA. It was wonderful and really stirred the Sunday afternoon audience. Unfortunately, I missed the Fourth. Read that the musicians enjoyed doing it.

      As you may know by now, Andrew Litton is leaving the DSO and moving to New York. He has European performances scheduled as well as some in Dallas.

      Russ

      Scott Mortensen <Scottkmort@...> wrote:
      FYI -

      I just got the following information from a marketing person at
      Hyperion:

      "Yes, we've recorded all four symphonies on two separate discs, to be
      released in September 2006. CDA67525 consists of symphonies 2&3, and
      CDA67540 is symphonies 1&4. Both will be available in SACD format."

      Here's hoping that these are good performances! I think that it will
      be very interesting to hear the Fourth in SACD surround. Hopefully, the
      sound engineers were able to capture some of the spatial aspects of the
      music--like the Halley's Comet/Star of Bethlehem string quartet that
      Ives wanted to be hung from the ceiling.

      I'm not familiar with Litton. I've heard his recording of American
      works that includes "Three Places" (on Dorian), but that's it. Anyone
      have any opinions about this or other recordings he's done?