Charles Ives by David Robertson

  • Patrick Petit
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
      Hello

      From my archives of live recordings i have found this very interesting
      concert of the Ensemble Intercontemporain conducted by david
      Robertson. The program is :
      Charles Ives- The Unanswered Question
      George Ives- Marching Interlude (as reconstructed by David Robertson)
      Karl Ruggles- Angels, Vox clamans in deserto.
      Charles Ives- Three Places in New England

      November 15,1997 Ensemble Intercontemporain, dir. David Robertson,
      Marie Plette, soprano.
      I have remastered from an old cassette tape, the sound is not perfect.

      the mp3 file

      http://rapidshare.de/files/19288122/ives_robertson_.mp3.html

      Patrick
    • Kirk McElhearn
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
        On Apr 30, 2006, at 8:33 PM, Patrick Petit wrote:

        > From my archives of live recordings i have found this very interesting
        > concert of the Ensemble Intercontemporain conducted by david
        > Robertson. The program is :
        > Charles Ives- The Unanswered Question
        > George Ives- Marching Interlude (as reconstructed by David Robertson)
        > Karl Ruggles- Angels, Vox clamans in deserto.
        > Charles Ives- Three Places in New England

        Thanks again! (It's Carl, not Karl) :-)

        Kirk

      • Michael Shaffer
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
          this is a great treat!! thank you! I never heard any G. Ives music!!

          ms

          At 02:33 PM 4/30/06, you wrote:
          >Hello
          >
          > >From my archives of live recordings i have found this very interesting
          >concert of the Ensemble Intercontemporain conducted by david
          >Robertson. The program is :
          >Charles Ives- The Unanswered Question
          >George Ives- Marching Interlude (as reconstructed by David Robertson)
          >Karl Ruggles- Angels, Vox clamans in deserto.
          >Charles Ives- Three Places in New England
          >
          >November 15,1997 Ensemble Intercontemporain, dir. David Robertson,
          >Marie Plette, soprano.
          >I have remastered from an old cassette tape, the sound is not perfect.
          >
          >the mp3 file
          >
          ><http://rapidshare.de/files/19288122/ives_robertson_.mp3.html>http://rapidshare.de/files/19288122/ives_robertson_.mp3.html
          >
          >Patrick

          >music
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Classical+sheet+music&w1=Classical+music&w2=Classical+sheet+music&w3=Classical+music+online&w4=Classical&w5=Classical+composers&w6=Indian+classical+music&c=6&s=144&.sig=cjOb3rtEoz6dgYfmLLVzZw>Classical
          >sheet music
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Classical+music+online&w1=Classical+music&w2=Classical+sheet+music&w3=Classical+music+online&w4=Classical&w5=Classical+composers&w6=Indian+classical+music&c=6&s=144&.sig=Z7t7FqndjZeSuU5uGltwtA>Classical
          >music online
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Classical&w1=Classical+music&w2=Classical+sheet+music&w3=Classical+music+online&w4=Classical&w5=Classical+composers&w6=Indian+classical+music&c=6&s=144&.sig=TZn9BG1Vlr7DhRik9K5HNA>Classical
          >composers
          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Indian+classical+music&w1=Classical+music&w2=Classical+sheet+music&w3=Classical+music+online&w4=Classical&w5=Classical+composers&w6=Indian+classical+music&c=6&s=144&.sig=Y8GqbjCvzttTE6Tr5uKBDw>Indian
          >classical music

          > *

        • mhberest
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
            >this is a great treat!! thank you! I never heard any G. Ives music!!

            George Ives sounds like Charles Ives in the latter´s Calcium Light
            Night Period. It´s good to have Putnam´s Camp also on this recording
            to show How Charles took his father´s brief experiment and was able to
            develop a fully worked out orchestral piece using it as an element.

            Undoubtedly, a lot of inspiration for Ives´s music comes from his
            father´s, but it´s like comparing Stravinski and Debbusy, or
            Schoenberg and Mahler. The later composer was the one able to see the
            ideas implicit in the earlier composer´s work and fully realize them.
            I´m sure CEI would probably say that was indeed a lot of his mission
            in life.

            Hearing the music of both George and Charles Ives played together,
            however leads one to the observation that it was _George_ Ives who was
            the ¨primitive.¨ That the father´s music is the charming,
            interesting, but ultimately not very deep music of the amateur, while
            the son´s music is not only the work of a mature composer, but of also
            one with the ability to transcend the boundaries established by that
            maturity.

            George Ives never got to mature. He never reached his own Third
            Symphony (The Camp Meeting), and, of course, never managed to see
            beyond the mastery of that to the new worlds opening up with things
            like Central Park in the Dark. It seems he never got beyond
            experimentation, and yet, the irony is, this is how, at one time
            _Charles_ Ives´s music was regarded by everyone, and to many, still is.

            If anyone still doesn´t ¨get it,¨ listening to Ives pere and Ives fils
            together should make it clear.
          • Douglas Jordon
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
              Michael Shaffer wrote:

              >this is a great treat!! thank you! I never heard any G. Ives music!!

              FWFI, I read somewhere that one of the violins sonatas has most of one
              of G. Ives fugues in it. I believe it's the 4th sonata, movement 1.
            • anthony cole
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2006
                Many, many thanks again, Patrick - what a treat to hear this (and the sound quality is fine) - Tony
                concert of the Ensemble Intercontemporain conducted by david
                Robertson. The program is :
                Charles Ives- The Unanswered Question
                George Ives- Marching Interlude (as reconstructed by David Robertson)
                Karl Ruggles- Angels, Vox clamans in deserto.
                Charles Ives- Three Places in New England

                November 15,1997 Ensemble Intercontemporain, dir. David Robertson,
                Marie Plette, soprano.
                I have remastered from an old cassette tape, the sound is not perfect.

                the mp3 file

                http://rapidshare.de/files/19288122/ives_robertson_.mp3.html

                Classical Classical composers Indian classical music

              • Gene Halaburt
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2006
                  We are in your debt, Patrick. Merci!!

                  -Gene
                • Afmmjr@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2006
                    Please add me to the sea of thanks! (I finally got a listen!)

                    As for George, I'd give most anything to experience his Coney Island piece.

                    Johnny