Second String Quartet by the Diotima SQ

  • Patrick Petit
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2006
      Hello

      Here is a new performance from my archives of radio broadcast.

      This is the Second String Quartet by the Diotima SQ (Nicolas Miribel,
      violin Eiichi Chijiiwa, violin Franck Chevalier, viola Pierre Morlet,
      cello ) performed the march 20, 2005 in festival « Musique
      d'aujourd'hui » in grand auditorium of Caen (France). This is not as
      modern as the Flux Quartet but the ensemble plays well and it's
      performed in the presence of Eliott Carter (the complete concert
      program was Eliott Carter's piano Quintet ,Ives Second SQ and Carter
      first SQ).
      (mp3 file 50mb ).I have saved the applauses Douglas ;-))

      http://rapidshare.de/files/17751231/Ives_quatuor_2_.mp3.html

      Patrick
    • Christian Tucker
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2006
        > Here is a new performance from my archives of radio broadcast.
        >
        > I have saved the applauses Douglas ;-))

        Thanks again for sharing your recordings. Sure wish my off-the-air
        stuff was so clean! I also like the applause and comments.

        First time that I've heard this quartet. First time through - my
        opinion is certainly correctable! In my mind this is a study for other
        things. I'm not hearing any new material.

        Christian Tucker
        New York
      • Douglas Jordon
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2006
          Patrick Petit wrote:

          >Hello
          >
          >Here is a new performance from my archives of radio broadcast.
          >
          >This is the Second String Quartet by the Diotima SQ (Nicolas Miribel,
          >violin Eiichi Chijiiwa, violin Franck Chevalier, viola Pierre Morlet,
          >cello ) performed the march 20, 2005 in festival « Musique
          >d'aujourd'hui » in grand auditorium of Caen (France). This is not as
          >modern as the Flux Quartet but the ensemble plays well and it's
          >performed in the presence of Eliott Carter (the complete concert
          >program was Eliott Carter's piano Quintet ,Ives Second SQ and Carter
          >first SQ).
          > (mp3 file 50mb ).I have saved the applauses Douglas ;-))

          Thanks for the recording. I regret to say that the second quartet is not
          one of my favorites; I've tried on many occasions to get into it but so
          I'm unconvinced. I remember when we all compared our top ten lists that
          the second quartet had a prominent place in many of them. I've often
          wondered what I'm missing. Somehow the hybrid quote/variation/dissonant
          texures grate on me, as if the tunes are somehow being stretched too
          far. I haven't given up on it, however.