Ligeti's Piano Concerto

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2006
      (from The Ligeti Project I on Teldec)

      Not much more to say about this piece except it is the true definition of a masterpiece. Aimard concurs right in the liner notes. The textures, rhythms, colors, orchestration, etc. all on the extreme highest level of inventivness. If you haven't heard this piece, please do yourself a favor and scoop up a copy of this disc. The other pieces (Melodien, Chamber Concerto, Mysteries of the Macabre) are also fantastic, but the concerto takes the cake. I have a boatload of Ligeti discs and this piece is near the top of the heap.

      I have never heard another version, but I cannot imagine a better performance and/or a more crystalline and detailed recording.

      Frankie