Re: [charlesives] Hauschild's recording of the Holidays Symphony

  • anthony cole
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
      On your recommendation, Scott, I ordered this and it duly plopped through the mail-box the other day. I entirely agree with your comments, and particularly about TGorFFsDay......I found this an absolutely riveting 15 min. or so (and let me here admit that there have been times, when listening to other performances of this piece, that I've been guilty of nodding off at about the 5 minute mark......Yes, I know, sackcloth-and-ashes for a while [well, it's just past Ash Wednesday, isn't it]). Certainly a worthy addition to anyone's collection, I think. Tony
      ps: I was going to do another posting about Gorisek's Concord, but perhaps I can quickly reflect my experience last week when I listened first to Kontarsky (the speed-merchant, and the very first recording of Concord I ever owned [purchased Paris 1967] - and a reading I still like very much) and then straight afterwards to Bojan Gorisek's very lengthy perusal. Well, in a nutshell, although I don't like to think that there are folks out there who only know the sonata in BG's performance (perhaps some Slovenians?), and despite its great length, I found myself quite gripped - especially in Thoreau (and how the poor flautist managed to make her breath last to slow down to Gorisek's pace I just don't know). Perhaps it's the measure of a truly GREAT piece of music that it can be revealed in such different ways and shine through nonetheless.
      pps: I think B. Gorisek is worth investigating in other music too - perhaps you know that he has committed all of Satie's piano music (inc. songs) to disc - to rave reviews I hear.