Re: [charlesives] Re: Happy New Year!

  • Gene Halaburt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
      At 08:32 PM 12/31/2005, Patrick wrote:

      >I know Ives as Composer and as insurance businessman,but the financial
      >and artistic supporter of the American Avant-garde (i don't know the
      >english word for "Mecene" )seems less studied by the historians
      >(except by Frank R.Rossiter in his 1975 monumental study on Ives ).

      My Harrap shows:

      "Mécène" 1. Pr. n. m. Maecenas. 2. s.m. Patron (of arts, letters)

      -Gene
    • Afmmjr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
        Yes, Nicholas Slonimsky told a wonderful story.

        The New York Philarmonic had two rehearsals with Ionization before Mr.
        Slonimsky realized this group of "cavemen," not to be confused with the excellent
        skills and intentions of today's New York Philharmonic, could not play the
        piece. ;)

        As a result, all the important voices of new music in NYC created an
        orchestra of unpitched percussionists. Henry Cowell played piano while Slonimsky
        conducted. Wallingford Riegger played, as did Paul Creston, William Schumann, and
        Walter Salzedo.

        The press called them the Wild Anarchists of Music. The players performed
        for free and the audience was admitted at no cost. It was in a hall once
        adjacent to Carnegie seating 100-200 persons. Aaron Copland was in the audience: A
        Romantic Era in Modern Music had begun.

        The New York Philharmonic would insist on being paid, even though they didn't
        play and a new orchestra had volunteered to perform it. Charles Ives paid
        these expenses, as well presumably, the cost of the hall, and any other sundry
        expenses.

        Johnny Reinhard