Re: Happy New Year!

  • Patrick Petit
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2005
      Happy New Year Johnny

      and Happy New Year to all of the members of the Charlesives'group

      I know Ives as Composer and as insurance businessman,but the financial
      and artistic supporter of the American Avant-garde (i don't know the
      english word for "Mecene" )seems less studied by the historians
      (except by Frank R.Rossiter in his 1975 monumental study on Ives ).To
      me Ives was, for American Avant-garde as important as Caillebotte for
      the Impressionists .

      Patrick

      --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, Afmmjr@a... wrote:

      > It has indeed been a wonderful year from the perspective of findnig
      the new
      > in Ives. And I sincerely thank you all for listening and responding.
      >
      > I wanted to share something I just learned from listenng to a Nicholas
      > Slonimsky interview that I found on the web. He announced, 40 years
      after the fact,
      > that Ives financially supported Edgard Varese in his concerts, even
      after
      > Varese's death. This includes performances of "Ionization" which
      was dedicated
      > to Slonimsky.
      >
      > How amazing that the great philanthropist Ives could support music
      of such
      > disparate styles, and anonymously. He even gave support to John
      Cage, according
      > to Cage, himself. What other things are there to unearth about Ives's
      > generosity.
      >
      > Indeed, American music could not exist as we know it without his secret
      > gifts. Alas, he died and now music is floundering. Are there no
      others out there
      > with Ives's strength of conviction...and money?
      >
      > Johnny

    • Gene Halaburt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
        At 08:32 PM 12/31/2005, Patrick wrote:

        >I know Ives as Composer and as insurance businessman,but the financial
        >and artistic supporter of the American Avant-garde (i don't know the
        >english word for "Mecene" )seems less studied by the historians
        >(except by Frank R.Rossiter in his 1975 monumental study on Ives ).

        My Harrap shows:

        "Mécène" 1. Pr. n. m. Maecenas. 2. s.m. Patron (of arts, letters)

        -Gene
      • Afmmjr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
          Yes, Nicholas Slonimsky told a wonderful story.

          The New York Philarmonic had two rehearsals with Ionization before Mr.
          Slonimsky realized this group of "cavemen," not to be confused with the excellent
          skills and intentions of today's New York Philharmonic, could not play the
          piece. ;)

          As a result, all the important voices of new music in NYC created an
          orchestra of unpitched percussionists. Henry Cowell played piano while Slonimsky
          conducted. Wallingford Riegger played, as did Paul Creston, William Schumann, and
          Walter Salzedo.

          The press called them the Wild Anarchists of Music. The players performed
          for free and the audience was admitted at no cost. It was in a hall once
          adjacent to Carnegie seating 100-200 persons. Aaron Copland was in the audience: A
          Romantic Era in Modern Music had begun.

          The New York Philharmonic would insist on being paid, even though they didn't
          play and a new orchestra had volunteered to perform it. Charles Ives paid
          these expenses, as well presumably, the cost of the hall, and any other sundry
          expenses.

          Johnny Reinhard