Re: Favorite pieces poll

  • quartodeciman
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
      Well, I agree with everyone's choice of 5 pieces. I like a lot of
      CEI's music, so I am dissatisfied with singling out just 5. And the
      single movement requirement doesn't fit me too well either. For
      example, I accept that "The Unanswered Question" is a piece of high
      importance. But I am not satisfied with it alone. The feature that
      makes it special to a lot of people, the apparent coming from
      eternity and continuing into eternity of the string parts leaves me
      wondering what happens next. I'm glad CEI took care of this. He
      combined that piece and another piece to make a set. I now prefer
      to hear the pair played together.

      Two Contemplations:
      1. A contemplation of a serious matter - the Unanswered Question
      2. A contemplation of nothing serious - Central Park in the Dark in
      the Good Old Summertime

      Likewise, I like Putnam's Camp and I like the Housatonic at
      Stockbridge. But I like best hearing Putnam's Camp followed by the
      Housatonic at Stockbridge.
    • Frankie Camiola
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
        C'mon Quart, it's just a stupid game to spark some conversation and thoughts. If you *HAD* to pick just five (5) (if somebody was holding an out-of-tune oboe to your head), which ones would you choose? I am interested in hearing about what all of us Ives' geeks consider to be the defining moments of his music. Let's hear your five...

        I would have to say that, personally speaking, I find The Unanswered Question to stand alone just perfectly and I don't necessarily need to hear a segue into Central Park (although it does work just peachy). Some Ives' pieces are definitely more powerful in context with the complete work, yes, but there are some that work quite well as stand alone pieces. I think the Holidays work just fine seperately and apparently Ives did as well, but Symphony 4 is more powerful as a complete picture IMO. I have thrown on The Alcotts or just Hawthorne before when I have been in the mood to hear those particular pieces and I enjoyed them immensely as is. If you think about it, a composer works on just one piece at a time, so each piece is just a different story in a larger novel.

        Frankie

        C'mon - turn off CNN for five minutes and get those votes in people!
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • quartodeciman
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2003
          Well, Frankie, I think your list works just fine and Scott's does
          too. I haven't heard Psalm 90 for many years, but I remember liking
          it a lot. So, your list includes the more familiar stuff. I can
          hum a lot of it. Being held at risk by an oboe, I just spit out the
          first 5 titles I can think of. It all works.

          Frankie's list
          1. Thanksgiving and Forefathers Day
          2. Symphony No. 4, IV Movement: Finale
          3. Symphony No. 3, III Movement: Communion
          4. Three Places in New England, III Movement: The Housatonic at
          Stockbridge
          5. The Unanswered Question

          Scott's list
          1. Thanksgiving and Forefather's Day
          2. Housatonic at Stockbridge (Orch. Version from "3 Place in NE")
          3. Sym 4, final mvmt.
          4. 2nd Pno Sonata, First mvmt "Emerson"
          5. Psalm 90
        • Frankie Camiola
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2003
            Being held at risk by an oboe, I just spit out the
            first 5 titles I can think of.

            Quart, where are they?!!!

            Frankie

          • quartodeciman
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2003
              --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, Frankie Camiola <chalkpie@o...>
              wrote:
              > Being held at risk by an oboe, I just spit out the
              > first 5 titles I can think of.
              >

              > Quart, where are they?!!!
              >
              > Frankie

              Frankie, it hasn't happened yet.

              quart
            • quartodeciman
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 6, 2003
                Oh, well:

                1. Symphony #4 movement 2 Comedy Allegretto
                2. String Quartet #2 movement 3 The Call of the Mountains Adagio
                3. General William Booth Enters into Heaven
                4. Holidays Symphony movement 2 Decoration Day
                5. Pianoforte Sonata #2 Concord, Massachusetts 1840 -1860 movement 2
                Hawthorne

                , just to be different.

                quart