Ives Letters

  • Gene Halaburt
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
      Is there a particular reason why Charlie's correspondance has not been
      collected and published?
      Thanks!
      -Gene
    • Anne Ozorio
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
        - the only book I keep as a reminder of the worst sort is Wooldridge's
        notorious "From the Steeples and Mountains" Tony

        Tony, do you know what happened to Wooldridge ? Is he still alive ?
        The much missed Bob Zeidler did so much work to unravel the myths but
        what he found aboiut Wooldridge the man was even stranger. We think
        he was actually English (but can't be sure) though not in any way
        related to the Prof. Wooldridge whom he claims was a friend of Ives
        and Mahler. Up goes the legendary "collection" of letters in a puff
        of smoke. A few years ago, I came across in Oxfam the proof copy of
        the book made in advance before publication. It turned out to be
        Wooldridge's own personal copy, with corrections in his own hand. If
        it turned up in a charity store, chances are he must be dead.

        Anne
        anne.ozorio@...
      • tony cole
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
          I met Wooldridge once - this was in ''74 and he was Roger Hannay's guest at Chapel Hill - he appeared and made a short speech at a concert which Roger's students put on which included "Over the Pavements" and the "Tone Roads" - He (Wooldridge) is of English origin and has a number of compositions to his name (none of which have I heard) - he was at Indiana U. for a time and then settled in Connecticut. His book "Conductors' World" is apparently well thought of............Tony.
          - the only book I keep as a reminder of the worst sort is Wooldridge's
          notorious "From the Steeples and Mountains" Tony

          Tony, do you know what happened to Wooldridge ? Is he still alive ?
          The much missed Bob Zeidler did so much work to unravel the myths but
          what he found aboiut Wooldridge the man was even stranger. We think
          he was actually English (but can't be sure) though not in any way
          related to the Prof. Wooldridge whom he claims was a friend of Ives
          and Mahler. Up goes the legendary "collection" of letters in a puff
          of smoke. A few years ago, I came across in Oxfam the proof copy of
          the book made in advance before publication. It turned out to be
          Wooldridge's own personal copy, with corrections in his own hand. If
          it turned up in a charity store, chances are he must be dead.

          Anne
          anne.ozorio@...

          Classical Classical composers Genres of music

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
            I actually have a hardcover copy of this book -- I'm selling it on eBay
            for $10,000 - no offers yet -- I'm holding out --

            ms

            At 11:15 AM 12/3/05, you wrote:

            >I met Wooldridge once - this was in ''74 and he was Roger Hannay's guest
            >at Chapel Hill - he appeared and made a short speech at a concert which
            >Roger's students put on which included "Over the Pavements" and the "Tone
            >Roads" - He (Wooldridge) is of English origin and has a number of
            >compositions to his name (none of which have I heard) - he was at Indiana
            >U. for a time and then settled in Connecticut. His book "Conductors'
            >World" is apparently well thought of.............Tony.

          • tony cole
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
              So have I - mine's a snip at $7,500............Tony

              At 11:15 AM 12/3/05, you wrote:

              >I met Wooldridge once - this was in ''74 and he was Roger Hannay's guest
              >at Chapel Hill - he appeared and made a short speech at a concert which
              >Roger's students put on which included "Over the Pavements" and the "Tone
              >Roads" - He (Wooldridge) is of English origin and has a number of
              >compositions to his name (none of which have I heard) - he was at Indiana
              >U. for a time and then settled in Connecticut. His book "Conductors'
              >World" is apparently well thought of.............Tony.

            • Michael Shaffer
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
                and I thought I was the only one lucky enough -- I tried to pass it on to
                Bob Ziedler -- but he already had six -- he said he got them off the
                Connecticut mafia --

                ms