Re: [charlesives] The Best Books on Charles Ives

  • tony cole
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
      Patrick - My take on this question is that no one book yet written is sufficient........I still warm to the Cowells' book because it was the first one I read (though I did have Wilfrid Meller's marvellous "Music in a New-Found Land" beforehand). The "Memos", Stuart Feder's biography, "An Ives Celebration" ed. by Hitchcock & Perlis which distils stuff from the Centennial Conference-Festival in 1974, "Essays before a Sonata", Rossiter's "C.Ives and the American Mind", are all worthwhile - the only book I keep as a reminder of the worst sort is Wooldridge's notorious "From the Steeples and Mountains" Tony
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
        Is there a particular reason why Charlie's correspondance has not been
        collected and published?
        Thanks!
        -Gene
      • Anne Ozorio
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
          - the only book I keep as a reminder of the worst sort is Wooldridge's
          notorious "From the Steeples and Mountains" Tony

          Tony, do you know what happened to Wooldridge ? Is he still alive ?
          The much missed Bob Zeidler did so much work to unravel the myths but
          what he found aboiut Wooldridge the man was even stranger. We think
          he was actually English (but can't be sure) though not in any way
          related to the Prof. Wooldridge whom he claims was a friend of Ives
          and Mahler. Up goes the legendary "collection" of letters in a puff
          of smoke. A few years ago, I came across in Oxfam the proof copy of
          the book made in advance before publication. It turned out to be
          Wooldridge's own personal copy, with corrections in his own hand. If
          it turned up in a charity store, chances are he must be dead.

          Anne
          anne.ozorio@...
        • tony cole

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
              I actually have a hardcover copy of this book -- I'm selling it on eBay
              for $10,000 - no offers yet -- I'm holding out --

              ms

              At 11:15 AM 12/3/05, you wrote:

              >I met Wooldridge once - this was in ''74 and he was Roger Hannay's guest
              >at Chapel Hill - he appeared and made a short speech at a concert which
              >Roger's students put on which included "Over the Pavements" and the "Tone
              >Roads" - He (Wooldridge) is of English origin and has a number of
              >compositions to his name (none of which have I heard) - he was at Indiana
              >U. for a time and then settled in Connecticut. His book "Conductors'
              >World" is apparently well thought of.............Tony.

            • tony cole
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
                So have I - mine's a snip at $7,500............Tony

                At 11:15 AM 12/3/05, you wrote:

                >I met Wooldridge once - this was in ''74 and he was Roger Hannay's guest
                >at Chapel Hill - he appeared and made a short speech at a concert which
                >Roger's students put on which included "Over the Pavements" and the "Tone
                >Roads" - He (Wooldridge) is of English origin and has a number of
                >compositions to his name (none of which have I heard) - he was at Indiana
                >U. for a time and then settled in Connecticut. His book "Conductors'
                >World" is apparently well thought of.............Tony.

              • Michael Shaffer
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
                  and I thought I was the only one lucky enough -- I tried to pass it on to
                  Bob Ziedler -- but he already had six -- he said he got them off the
                  Connecticut mafia --

                  ms