Re: Favourite Recordings-Charlie Rutlage

  • Patrick Petit
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      I know four other vocal renditions.

      Nicolas Isherwood - Not convincing ,he sings out of tune, but i think
      it's unintentional.
      Henry Herford - Too mannered, it's a misinterpretation with the spirit
      of this song.
      Charles Van Tassel - His dutch accent is very disturbing.
      Thomas Hampson - Accompagnied with an orchestra,is very good ,but not
      natural.

      Like you Gene, my favorite is Thomas Stewart - and Thomas Hampson
      despite his affected style.

      Patrick

      --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Halaburt" <ghal@a...> wrote:

      > Can anyone recommend a recording of this where the singer sounds
      > perfectly natural with both the music and the words? I just got through
      > listening to:
      >
      > Sam Ramey
      > Ted Puffer
      > Gerald Finley
      > Roberta Alexander
      > Thomas Stewart
      > Marni Nixon
      > Paul Sperry
      >
      > And find none completely satisfying (yes, they all have some good
      > points!). Maybe this is one of Charlie's songs that should remain, as
      > he said "in the leaf." Does anyone have another vocal rendition he/she
      > considers totally satisying? Of the ones above, if forced to choose,
      > I would probably choose the Thomas Stewart or the Marni Nixon - just a
      > personal choice.
      > -Gene

    • tony cole

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
          I think the reason why Charlie Rutlage seems so hard to do is because
          it doesn't sound like a lied, it sounds like an old country and
          western song. Not implying it is of that level of quality. But it
          doesn't sound like it should have an operatic baritone singing it
          trying to imitate a Texan accent.

          I would actually like to hear performed by a popular, as opposed to
          operatic, singer. No operatic singer can bring to it that sound.
          They will always sound like a person putting on a cowboy accent. Have
          someone who has a twang do it (other than George W. Bush, of course)

          -- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "tony cole" <tony@c...> wrote:

          > Agree that none of the recordings seems to hit C.R. off quite
          right.......as I've mentioned before, the best (most natural)
          performance I've ever heard was Charles Greenwell live at the Wigmore
          Hall, but that was more than 30 years ago! Tony

          Service.

        • Patrick Petit
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
            I imagine the late Johnny Cash or a famous folk singer like Woody
            Guthrie, Burl Ives or Pete Seeger singing Charlie Rutlage .

            Patrick

            --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "mhberest" <mhberest@m...> wrote:

            > I think the reason why Charlie Rutlage seems so hard to do is because
            > it doesn't sound like a lied, it sounds like an old country and
            > western song. Not implying it is of that level of quality. But it
            > doesn't sound like it should have an operatic baritone singing it
            > trying to imitate a Texan accent.
            >
            > I would actually like to hear performed by a popular, as opposed to
            > operatic, singer. No operatic singer can bring to it that sound.
            > They will always sound like a person putting on a cowboy accent. Have
            > someone who has a twang do it (other than George W. Bush, of course)
            >
            > -- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "tony cole" <tony@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Agree that none of the recordings seems to hit C.R. off quite
            > right.......as I've mentioned before, the best (most natural)
            > performance I've ever heard was Charles Greenwell live at the Wigmore
            > Hall, but that was more than 30 years ago! Tony

          • tony cole
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2005
              Tex Ritter perhaps..................................Tony
              I imagine the late Johnny Cash or a famous folk singer like Woody
              Guthrie, Burl Ives or Pete Seeger singing Charlie Rutlage .

              Patrick

              --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "mhberest" <mhberest@m...> wrote:

              > I think the reason why Charlie Rutlage seems so hard to do is because
              > it doesn't sound like a lied, it sounds like an old country and
              > western song. Not implying it is of that level of quality. But it
              > doesn't sound like it should have an operatic baritone singing it
              > trying to imitate a Texan accent.
              >
              > I would actually like to hear performed by a popular, as opposed to
              > operatic, singer. No operatic singer can bring to it that sound.
              > They will always sound like a person putting on a cowboy accent. Have
              > someone who has a twang do it (other than George W. Bush, of course)
              >
              > -- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "tony cole" <tony@c...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Agree that none of the recordings seems to hit C.R. off quite
              > right.......as I've mentioned before, the best (most natural)
              > performance I've ever heard was Charles Greenwell live at the Wigmore
              > Hall, but that was more than 30 years ago! Tony

              Classical Classical composers Genres of music

            • Gene Halaburt
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2005
                At 03:26 AM 12/4/2005, Tony wrote:

                At least the line: "His relations in Texas his face nevermore will see..."
                would have immediate meaning....

                -Gene
              • Gene Halaburt
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2005
                  At 03:26 AM 12/4/2005, Tony wrote:

                  Maybe Red Steagall or Bobby Bare if they knew of it.
                  -Gene