Favourite Recordings-Charlie Rutlage

  • Gene Halaburt
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
      Can anyone recommend a recording of this where the singer sounds
      perfectly natural with both the music and the words? I just got through
      listening to:

      Sam Ramey
      Ted Puffer
      Gerald Finley
      Roberta Alexander
      Thomas Stewart
      Marni Nixon
      Paul Sperry

      And find none completely satisfying (yes, they all have some good
      points!). Maybe this is one of Charlie's songs that should remain, as
      he said "in the leaf." Does anyone have another vocal rendition he/she
      considers totally satisying? Of the ones above, if forced to choose,
      I would probably choose the Thomas Stewart or the Marni Nixon - just a
      personal choice.
      -Gene
    • Patrick Petit
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
        I know four other vocal renditions.

        Nicolas Isherwood - Not convincing ,he sings out of tune, but i think
        it's unintentional.
        Henry Herford - Too mannered, it's a misinterpretation with the spirit
        of this song.
        Charles Van Tassel - His dutch accent is very disturbing.
        Thomas Hampson - Accompagnied with an orchestra,is very good ,but not
        natural.

        Like you Gene, my favorite is Thomas Stewart - and Thomas Hampson
        despite his affected style.

        Patrick

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Halaburt" <ghal@a...> wrote:

        > Can anyone recommend a recording of this where the singer sounds
        > perfectly natural with both the music and the words? I just got through
        > listening to:
        >
        > Sam Ramey
        > Ted Puffer
        > Gerald Finley
        > Roberta Alexander
        > Thomas Stewart
        > Marni Nixon
        > Paul Sperry
        >
        > And find none completely satisfying (yes, they all have some good
        > points!). Maybe this is one of Charlie's songs that should remain, as
        > he said "in the leaf." Does anyone have another vocal rendition he/she
        > considers totally satisying? Of the ones above, if forced to choose,
        > I would probably choose the Thomas Stewart or the Marni Nixon - just a
        > personal choice.
        > -Gene

      • tony cole

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
            I think the reason why Charlie Rutlage seems so hard to do is because
            it doesn't sound like a lied, it sounds like an old country and
            western song. Not implying it is of that level of quality. But it
            doesn't sound like it should have an operatic baritone singing it
            trying to imitate a Texan accent.

            I would actually like to hear performed by a popular, as opposed to
            operatic, singer. No operatic singer can bring to it that sound.
            They will always sound like a person putting on a cowboy accent. Have
            someone who has a twang do it (other than George W. Bush, of course)

            -- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "tony cole" <tony@c...> wrote:

            > Agree that none of the recordings seems to hit C.R. off quite
            right.......as I've mentioned before, the best (most natural)
            performance I've ever heard was Charles Greenwell live at the Wigmore
            Hall, but that was more than 30 years ago! Tony

            Service.

          • Patrick Petit
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
              I imagine the late Johnny Cash or a famous folk singer like Woody
              Guthrie, Burl Ives or Pete Seeger singing Charlie Rutlage .

              Patrick

              --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "mhberest" <mhberest@m...> wrote:

              > I think the reason why Charlie Rutlage seems so hard to do is because
              > it doesn't sound like a lied, it sounds like an old country and
              > western song. Not implying it is of that level of quality. But it
              > doesn't sound like it should have an operatic baritone singing it
              > trying to imitate a Texan accent.
              >
              > I would actually like to hear performed by a popular, as opposed to
              > operatic, singer. No operatic singer can bring to it that sound.
              > They will always sound like a person putting on a cowboy accent. Have
              > someone who has a twang do it (other than George W. Bush, of course)
              >
              > -- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "tony cole" <tony@c...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Agree that none of the recordings seems to hit C.R. off quite
              > right.......as I've mentioned before, the best (most natural)
              > performance I've ever heard was Charles Greenwell live at the Wigmore
              > Hall, but that was more than 30 years ago! Tony

            • tony cole
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2005
                Tex Ritter perhaps..................................Tony
                I imagine the late Johnny Cash or a famous folk singer like Woody
                Guthrie, Burl Ives or Pete Seeger singing Charlie Rutlage .

                Patrick

                --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "mhberest" <mhberest@m...> wrote:

                > I think the reason why Charlie Rutlage seems so hard to do is because
                > it doesn't sound like a lied, it sounds like an old country and
                > western song. Not implying it is of that level of quality. But it
                > doesn't sound like it should have an operatic baritone singing it
                > trying to imitate a Texan accent.
                >
                > I would actually like to hear performed by a popular, as opposed to
                > operatic, singer. No operatic singer can bring to it that sound.
                > They will always sound like a person putting on a cowboy accent. Have
                > someone who has a twang do it (other than George W. Bush, of course)
                >
                > -- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "tony cole" <tony@c...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Agree that none of the recordings seems to hit C.R. off quite
                > right.......as I've mentioned before, the best (most natural)
                > performance I've ever heard was Charles Greenwell live at the Wigmore
                > Hall, but that was more than 30 years ago! Tony

                Classical Classical composers Genres of music

              • Gene Halaburt
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2005
                  At 03:26 AM 12/4/2005, Tony wrote:

                  At least the line: "His relations in Texas his face nevermore will see..."
                  would have immediate meaning....

                  -Gene
                • Gene Halaburt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2005
                    At 03:26 AM 12/4/2005, Tony wrote:

                    Maybe Red Steagall or Bobby Bare if they knew of it.
                    -Gene