Calling All Charles Ives Fans

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2003
      Hello,

      I was wondering if there was enough interest "out there" to start a
      discussion group dedicated to the composer Charles Ives. So I just
      created this group.

      I'm a big fan of Ives and his music. In fact, over the last few
      years, I've built and maintained a web site all about Ives' life and
      music. If you'd like to take a look, go to:
      www.musicweb.uk.net/Ives

      I enjoyed building the web site, but I also found that it's largely a
      one-way conversation. I thought that a discussion group might be a
      good way to connect with other folks who enjoy Ives' music. Soon I
      plan to add links to the web site, so folks who surf into the site
      can join the conversation, if they're so inclined.

      So, what to discuss? Let's start with something broad, a good
      introduction. How's this: How did you discover Ives? Which work
      first caught your ear? Was it a recording? A live performance?

      Now let's see if there's enough Ives fans out there for this thing to
      get off the ground... ;-)

      Best Regards,
      Scott (Mortensen)
      Smyrna, Georgia, USA
    • quartodeciman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2003
        Well, I guess somebody has to start making replies, so here I go.

        I first learned about Ives from Aaron Copland's book "Our New
        Music". My first contact was a recording of "Three Places in New
        England", performed by Howard Hanson and the Eastman-Rochester
        Orchestra. It was quite a long time ago. I was especially thrilled
        by "Putnam's Camp" and "The Housatonic at Stockbridge". I still
        think the switch from the climax of PC to the start of HAS is one of
        the most stunning transitions in all of music.

        I listened to the flip side, Symph. #3, but I just reckoned it was a
        simple piece of americana (true enough!) before the man
        became "modern". I didn't have the facts about Ive's musical life
        and mind straight yet. I have changed my mind about #3 since then.
        The next work that grabbed me was "Concord Sonata", played by Aloys
        Kontarsky, with viola and flute obbligati. This was about three
        years later, and I read the Ives biography by the Cowells at this
        time. This piece, in its fullness, held my attention. Then, a few
        years later, came the Stokowski Symph. #4 release.

        I don't think I have ever heard an Ives piece played live. It is
        possible that I heard a song when I used to go to modern music
        concerts at my college, but I don't remember that happening.

        quart
      • jbranscom2
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11, 2003
          Hi Scott and All,

          This is like I really have time for ANOTHER Yahoo Group--but I couldn't resist. I love Ives.

          My first contact with Ives was back around 1965 when, as a music starved teen in Bellefontaine, Ohio I walked into our local small appliance store downtown--which also had a record department--and was the only thing remotely like a record store in town.

          I found there, one copy of the Bernstein Ives' 2nd Symphony--with Ives' picture on the front as well as a Bernstein quote to the effect that this (Ives) was the Washington and Jefferson of American music. This seemed to be some pretty strong stuff to be saying about someone I'd never heard of.

          Very shortly after that there was some Bernstein deal on TV--perhaps a Young Peoples' Concert--about Ives. I was so amazed that I knew I had to save up to get the Ives LP (I think it was a "mono" disc) that I had found down at DeLong's Applince Store.

          Mrs. DeLong was very glad to sell it to me. It had been sent to her accidentally and she wasn't sure how she was going to get rid of it.

          I recall that back in the 60's lot's of people made a big deal about Ives. Then later-- it seems like a lot of interest tapered off. I think a lot of people must have been listening to Ives for the wrong reasons--like this was really freaky, almost psychedelic, way ahead of it's times music.

          I've continued to love Ives because I find that beyond the "shock" and the novelty this is still damn good, highly personal music--full of incredible beauty.

          I'm very glad to be in this group. I'm a very experienced music LISTENER--but not a musician or scholar. I haven't listened to a lot of Ives lately, but could enjoy revisiting--or discovering new works.

          Jim Branscom
          Columbus, OH