Re: Ives' First Sym (again)

  • Bob Zeidler
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2003
      Frankie writes, regarding the Gould/CSO/RCA Ives 1st:

      > What year?

      -----------------------

      1966.

      From Sinclair's catalog:

      First recording:
      Chicago Symphony Orchestra, cond. by Morton Gould, 5
      November 1966 (issued in 1966 by RCA Victor, LSC-2893).

      I may have nudged Scott in the direction of the Gould. I think I
      used an expression along the lines "I remember the Gould with
      affection." But I hadn't been aware that it had been remastered to
      CD. Otherwise, I would have dumped my LP by now.

      Bob
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2003

        >Frankie writes, regarding the Gould/CSO/RCA Ives 1st:
        >
        > > What year?
        >
        >-----------------------
        >
        >1966.
        >
        >From Sinclair's catalog:
        >
        >First recording:
        >Chicago Symphony Orchestra, cond. by Morton Gould, 5
        >November 1966 (issued in 1966 by RCA Victor, LSC-2893).
        >
        >I may have nudged Scott in the direction of the Gould. I think I
        >used an expression along the lines "I remember the Gould with
        >affection." But I hadn't been aware that it had been remastered to
        >CD. Otherwise, I would have dumped my LP by now.

        THANKS, Bob! ;-)

        Yes, this CD is available in the U.K. as part of the "RCA Navigator" series.
        Along with the First Sym, the disc includes the Robert Browning Ovt., the
        2nd Orchestral Set, and "The Unanswered Question." The couplings are good
        too, IMHO--if not quite on the same level as the First Sym.

        Another good thing: it's a super-budget priced disc (about $7 US from
        www.mdt.co.uk).

        Great deals on high-speed Internet access as low as $26.95.