Now at Amazon; was Re: Alan Feinberg / Emerson Cto

  • Bob Zeidler
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 19, 2003
      I had written to Scott:

      "BTW, you're the second person named Scott who has advised
      me of having a preview copy of this Naxos release. I'm giving
      serious thought to changing my first name, particularly since
      Amazon.com has yet to advise me of its availability. Looks more
      and more like I'll actually have to get in my car next week and
      drive to a bricks-and-mortar store. :-)"

      Well, I DID go to my local Border's yesterday, and apparently had
      been beaten out by someone who glommed onto the one early
      copy that they had in stock.

      But an early-morning search at Amazon today shows that it can
      now be ordered there:

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CDJKI/

      So I did. :-)
    • Bob Zeidler
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 30, 2003
        Back on October 19, I had written, inter alia, regarding this new
        Feinberg/Sinclair/Naxos Ives CD:

        > But an early-morning search at Amazon today shows that it can
        now be ordered there:

        > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CDJKI/

        > So I did. :-)

        Well, the CD didn't officially go on sale at Amazon until the 21st.
        And, since I had combined this item with a few others, Amazon
        didn't ship it until the 24th.

        It arrived today. And I am one happy camper, after listening only
        to the Ives 1st. (The Emerson Concerto will have to wait until
        tomorrow morning, when my ears are fresher. In any event, I've
        been refreshing my memory of the Emerson movement of the
        Concord by re-listening to the Hamelin and Deutsch recordings
        (of which I definitely prefer the Deutsch, BTW).)

        As to Sinclair's critical edition (1999) performance of the 1st, it
        is a totally stunning knockout. I've got what I THINK are all of the
        previous recordings of this (Gould/Chicago/RCA,
        Ormandy/Philadelphia/Sony, Tilson Thomas/Chicago/Sony), and
        this not only leaves all of them in the shade; it comes across as
        quite a different work, with repeats observed, more appropriate
        (slower) tempo for the "Dvorak New World Largo"-like 2nd
        movement, and corrected (i.e., added back in) side drum
        percussion in the Tchaikovsky-like Finale. Flawless
        interpretation and execution and splendid sound.

        My, but Charlie could be a wonderful note-spinner in that 2nd
        movement. Just MAGIC, it is.

        This is the perfect "drop the needle" party-trick work for springing
        on any and all who have never heard the work. And proof, if any
        were ever needed, that -- between George Ives and Horatio
        Parker -- Charlie had a VERY thorough grounding in the
        "classical tradition."

        The coupling (with the Emerson Concerto, still to be heard)
        reminds me of the Schermerhorn/Nashville coupling of the 2nd
        Symphony with the Robert Browning Overture: "Accessible" Ives
        combined with "knotty" Ives. In other words, creative
        programming.

        Based on Sinclair's Naxos Ives to date, I surely hope that there
        are plans for him to do the 4th and Holiday Symphonies.

        More detailed review to follow, after hearing the Emerson. In line
        with my two previous reviews of Naxos Ives works, it'll probably
        end up being called "Charlie Done Right. Part III.
      • Christian Tucker
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 30, 2003
          |And, since I had combined this item with a few others, Amazon
          |didn't ship it until the 24th.

          Mine should arrive really soon.

          |Concord by re-listening to the Hamelin and Deutsch recordings
          |(of which I definitely prefer the Deutsch, BTW).)

          Of which I still remain "unwashed." Amazon has managed to butcher that CD order. Going on two months!

          |As to Sinclair's critical edition (1999) performance of the 1st, it
          |is a totally stunning knockout.

          I might just explode waiting.

          Also coming in the shipment is a one time only (until the family looses control) recording of the RVW 2d which is having the same sort of impact in the RVW world.

          Christian Tucker
          New York
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 31, 2003
            --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Zeidler" <RRZeidler@a...>
            wrote:
            ...And I am one happy camper, after listening only
            > to the Ives 1st. (The Emerson Concerto will have to wait until
            > tomorrow morning, when my ears are fresher. In any event, I've
            > been refreshing my memory of the Emerson movement of the
            > Concord by re-listening to the Hamelin and Deutsch recordings
            > (of which I definitely prefer the Deutsch, BTW).)

            Bob, I've never heard the Deutsch recording. I guess I should check
            it out. Do you dislike the Hamelin? Or do you think that Deutsch is
            just better? If so, in what ways?

            > As to Sinclair's critical edition (1999) performance of the 1st, it
            > is a totally stunning knockout. I've got what I THINK are all of
            the
            > previous recordings of this (Gould/Chicago/RCA,
            > Ormandy/Philadelphia/Sony, Tilson Thomas/Chicago/Sony), and
            > this not only leaves all of them in the shade;

            I agree. Sinclair's recording dusts every other version of this work
            by quite a margin. Incidentally, I was just listening to this same
            piece on the way to work this morning.

            Have any of you heard Sinclair's recording of the Second Symphony
            with the Yale Sym Orch? IMHO, it's much superior to Schermerhorn's--
            or anybody else's for that matter. I wish that Naxos had used
            Sinclair instead of Schermerhorn, so more folks would have access to
            his wonderful interpretation. (Because, unfortunately, the Yale SO
            disc is now out of print.)

            Scott
          • Bob Zeidler
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 31, 2003
              Scott, in response to your

              > "Bob, I've never heard the Deutsch recording. I guess I should
              check it out. Do you dislike the Hamelin? Or do you think that
              Deutsch is just better? If so, in what ways?"

              Deutsch (who had studied with both Kirkpatrick and Masselos)
              captures the improvisational aspects of the Concord much
              better, IMO, than Hamelin, who seems "stiff" by comparison. Her
              timings pretty much mirror Kirkpatrick's; Hamelin dawdles along
              with generally (much) slower timings.

              In addition, she includes the Four Emerson Transcriptions
              (which are helpful in getting one's arms around the Concord).
              And the second CD includes the 1st Sonata, the 3-Page Sonata
              and other goodies. All at the usual low VoxBox price.

              No complaints about the sound, either. Closely-miked (you can
              hear her pedal work), but crisp, clear and resonant.
            • Bob Zeidler
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 31, 2003
                I finally finished the Emerson Concerto part of this new CD.
                Comments available at the link below:

                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CDJKI/

                Needless to say, it's an impressive CD. I found myself liking the
                Emerson more than I initially thought I'd might.

                Bob