Re: [charlesives] Variation on the "Greatest American" list

  • tony cole
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2005
      As a mere Brit, it is with considerable trepidation that I throw my ten cents into this particular ring.........but, restricting myself to the area of US Kultur, could I ask why we have not heard more so far in favour (sorry - favor!) of:
      Whitman
      Ruggles
      Partch
      Nancarrow
      Walker Percy
      Faulkner
      Salinger (you must know that "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" is the second greatest short story ever written - oh, IMHO, natch)
      Melville
      Rexroth
      .....................I could go on.............Tony
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2005
        Here is mine:

        (a bit heavy on musicians, but hey, music is the greatest gift of life
        besides children...)

        Charles Ives
        Aaron Copland
        Harry Partch
        Miles Davis
        Duke Ellington
        Martin Luther King, Jr.
        Susan B. Anthony
        Frank Zappa
        Thomas Edison
        Charlie Parker

        And the winner of the Biggest American Asshole Award goes to:

        (drum roll)................George W. Bush

        Congratulations, Dubya!!

        Frankie