Complete Works for Organ

  • Patrick Petit
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2005
      I wonder why there's no existing recordings,or performances of CEI
      Complete Works for Organ?
      Only "Variations on America" and "Adeste Fidelis" are recorded,
      integrated into many American Organ Anthology.

      These others works were composed or arranged by ives:
      Canzonetta in F - Fugue in C Minor - Fugue in E-flat -Postlude in F-
      The Alcotts for Organ - Thoreau for Organ- Holiday Quickstep for Organ.

      Somes others lost organ pieces derived from :
      3th mvt of Third Symphony (Piece for Communion Service),Holiday
      Thanksgiving-( Prelude for Thanksgiving Service),1st mvt of First
      String Quartet and 3th mvt of Fourth Symphony(Fugue for Organ),could
      be reconstructed.
      And why not The Unanswered question and From Steeples and mountains
      adapted for this instrument ?

      Why this very important repertoire,is so neglected?

      Patrick
    • davidgrayporter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2005
        There is a 1-page sketch of what became the rejected Largo for the
        1st Symphony and the Adagio from thwe 2nd Symphony, which looks tyo
        me very much like Ives's sketching an improvization of what was an
        organ prelude. I wanted it listed as such in Jim Sinclair's
        catalogue but he prefered to list it with the 1st Symphony materials.

        The prototypes of the other Symphony movements are to my kowledge
        all lost.

        --- In charlesives@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Petit" <patrpetit@y...>