New info relative to Champtany

  • Dennis Jay Hall
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 2006
      Happy Holidays from ice free Lake Champlain,

      While armchair researching, I stumbled on a website...... http://www.phils.com.au/1901-2012.htm ....... part of the site contained
      the information below.   Enjoy and let me know your thoughts.....

      Dennis Hall
      Champ Quest

      Christopher von Fürer-Haimendorf, professor of anthropology at Osmania University in Hyderabad, India, undertook a study
      of tribes on the Assam-Burma border. In the northern part of the Balipara Frontier Tract, he discovered a valley inhabited by a
      primitive tribe known as the Apa Tanis. Fürer-Haimendorf recounted that the bottom of the valley was "inhabited by lizardlike
      monsters."

      The creature was described in detail by a Charles Stonor in the 1940s. Stonor said that he and J.P. Mills, a
      respected authority on Assamese tribes, had visited the Valley of the Apa Tanis.

      He recounted a tradition that when the first of the Apa Tanis settled in the valley, there was a great marshy lake. According to
      the tribesmen:

      "The lake was the home of great aquatic beasts the like of which they had never seen before, and to which they gave the name Buru. The Buru was a
      heavily-built, cumbersome animal, fifteen feet or so in length with a long and thick neck, and a broad head tapering to a snout.

      There were three hard plates on the head, one on top, and one on each side. The tongue was long and forked, after the fashion
      of a snake. There were teeth "flat like those of a man": and according to some accounts there was a pair of small [tusks] in
      each jaw.

      The body had a girth such as "a man could just put his arms around," and measured some eighteen inches across the
      back. A row of blunt spines ran down the back and along each side. There were four stumpy limbs, with feet "like those of a
      burrowing mole."

      The Buru had a thick and powerful tail, three or four feet long, and on each side were broad and
      deeply-fringed lobes.

      The skin was fish-like and the colour mottled blue/black above and whitish below. There were many of
      them, and first and foremost they were aquatic, keeping to the deeper water, so that they were not very often seen. In the
      summer months they sometimes crawled out onto the banks to bask in the sun.

      In winter they disappeared into the mud on the bottom and were never seen. Now and again they appeared above the surface of the water, when they gave a
      coarse, bellowing call.

      They were believed to have been vegetarian, and were always nosing about in the mud, weaving their way through the
      swamp with their long necks, when the hard plates on their heads were brought into play.

      They did not lay eggs, and the young were born alive in the water.

      The Buru "did everything with its tail," and a tradition tells of a man who speared a young one he
      surprised asleep on a mud-bank, whereupon he was attacked by the mother, who caught him round the legs with her tail and
      pulled him into the water where he was drowned." Stonor then goes on to recount how the Buru were killed off by the
      tribesmen, as the population of the Apa Tanis increased.

      He was struck by their knowledge of the valley and their ability to
      point out four sites at which a Buru had been killed.

      Stonor also spoke with the descendants of a man named Takhe Saha, who
      said that their ancestor had found a Buru's skull in an area called Chagho. They said it was "like a pig's but with a longer
      snout."

    • richsd40@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 2006
        That was very interesting! Now my question to you, Mr. Hall, is since you have seen the Champ creatures around 20 times, does the description seem to you to be the same animal as Champ, head plates and all?
        I took your advice and got a copy of the new moon for 2007, and will plan my trips around it.  I'll be in touch with you when I start making my reservations in late Feb.  Thanks!
        Richard
      • Dennis Jay Hall
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 2006
          Hi Richard,

          The animal does seem to be the same spiecies of animal......Tanystropheus.....but may very in appearence from one area to another....like modern day dogs.

          As to it eating vegetation.....I think they are mainly fish eaters.....many animals eat grass to help digest.....this may be the case with the tany.

          Dennis Hall
          Champ Quest

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 2006
            Yes, that makes sense.  You're most probably right.  I find myself already looking forward to my first trip to the lake in '07...I'm not real crazy about snow anyway. The excitement and anticipation are setting in!
            Thanks so much for answering!
            Richard
          • spooky_sr
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2013
              Dennis,

              I know this is old about 5 years after the fact. But I wanted to comment on the Apu Tani BURU. They are not Tanytropheus like your Champtany (which I believe you are right about as I know you arrived at that opinion with the help of a now late U-of-V professor I think).

              Doing some research on the Buru I have come to the conclusion that they were large Monitors. Alexander the Great claimed he saw them too when he visited India in ancient times. Some monitors can grow frighteningly large as on the island of Komodo. They call them Dragons there. Their bite is deadly due to the bacteria in their mouth.

              Komodo Dragons have been known to attack humans if cornered. They have very sharp teeth and claws. They are carnivores too. The description you supplied sounds like them. However, the neck is not as long as a Champtany.

              Here's a SIMULATED underwater human contact with a live Tanytropheus. It's a fun watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waJV3p-zorM

              I really would like to correspond with you Dennis. I think we can interest each other on Champtany. I hope your injuries have healed and you are back to work. I was aware of your carpentry accident and wish I could have assisted you somehow.

              Why have you gone silent lately? I enjoyed your accounts. I would love to get one of your books on Champtany but can't find any. Can you help?

              Spooky-Sr
            • o.oggilby
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 19, 2013

                Hi Spooky-SR,

                    You are right on the money with a lot of what you said.

                The stealth breathing method and possible herding behavior are 2 things

                I try to elaborate on in my book. Darren Naish supplied some of the notes,

                so hopefully it will make sense when it's done.

                          Email me at newlab@...

                                  Best, Chuck P.

                           PS - Cool Tanny video.

              • spooky_sr
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 20, 2013
                  Is this Chuck Pogan??? Please see my posting to you at HOME PAGE on this forum.

                  --- In champ-trackers@yahoogroups.com, <o.oggilby@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Spooky-SR,
                  > You are right on the money with a lot of what you said.
                  > The stealth breathing method and possible herding behavior are 2 things
                  > I try to elaborate on in my book. Darren Naish supplied some of the notes,
                  > so hopefully it will make sense when it's done.
                  > Email me at newlab@... mailto:newlab@...
                  > Best, Chuck P.
                  > PS - Cool Tanny video.

                • spooky_sr