dave, what were you thinking?

  • monkeyland68
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 13 11:37 PM
      Where did everybody go?

      Oh well, for anybody who still reads these posts here's my 10cents
      worth.I have been a fan of the Chams since 83'. As news travels
      slowly to where I live I was probably one of the later ones to here
      of their reformation.On hearing one of their new tracks, I think it
      was 'India' that came with 'Uncut' magazine's free cd I have to
      admit I didn't exactly feel inspired to rush out and purchase their
      new material. I think it's because I held them in such high regard I
      couldn't face having to admit that they could produce anything short
      of magnificent.

      Upon reading some of the posts on this site about 'why call it
      anything' I took the plunge and bought it, and yes, I am
      dissapointed.Partly because it sounds like a cross between the Reegs
      and Mark Burgess solo stuff (which is bareable)but mainly because
      of 'Miracles and Wonders'. There are some styles that just don't mix
      well together and this is one. I cringe every time I hear it. This
      was Dave's idea wasn't it? Someone should have come forth and
      stopped this mismatch of styles to maintain the integrity of The
      Chams sound and style. Nothing against Kwasi,but to me it's like
      hearing 'Tiny Tim' guest appearing on Purple Haze.

      Still willing to give them a second chance I bought a copy
      of 'Resurrection, Live at the Academy'. Dissapointment again! Not
      only is the sound shit(feels like i'm listening to it outside the
      bloody venue) but yet again I'm made to cringe as I listen to 'Soul
      in Isolation' during the normally mesmerising middle bit, Dave, who
      is obviously of his tits pulls out a bloody didgeridoo. C'mon man
      give me a break. It ruins it for me. You can't go defacing a classic
      song with foreign sounds, it didn't need it, didn't add anything to
      the song,and spoilt the spine tingle I usually get when I hear it.

      And so to top it off during the second part of 'One Flesh' out comes
      Kwasi trampling over what is usually a masterpiece in guitar
      atmospherics now sounding like a 'Shaggy' song gone wrong. Sorry but
      they've blown it with me. I still love the 1st 3 albums but I can't
      and won't support any more ventures into world music, save it
      for 'Sting' and the like.

      Dave, you've got a lot to answer for!!!!
    • Zak Bunny
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 14 5:39 AM
        I've been a Chameleons fan since '83 and I love the new stuff. Kwasi's a
        great addition. I would give just about anything see them together again,
        like the last fantastic N.American tour. They're, truly, one of the few
        great things in this world.

        Zak
        (Not a didgeridoo expert.)
      • Greg
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 14 7:37 AM
          Zak Bunny wrote:

          > I've been a Chameleons fan since '83 and I love the new stuff. Kwasi's a
          > great addition. I would give just about anything see them together again,
          > like the last fantastic N.American tour. They're, truly, one of the few
          > great things in this world.
          >
          > Zak
          > (Not a didgeridoo expert.)

          Kwasi's not a Cham and never will be. And "toasting" has no place on a
          Chameleons record.

          Greg
        • Zak Bunny
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 14 12:57 PM
            >From: Greg <gregor22@...>
            >Kwasi's not a Cham and never will be. And "toasting" has no place on a
            >Chameleons record.
            >

            >Greg

            Yo, Greg Dawg, I guess we're all entitled to our own opinion, but, man, I'm
            puttin' my trust in Mr.Burgess when it comes to the Chameleons' direction,
            dig?

            Zak
          • marginalman13
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 14 2:17 PM
              --- In chameleons@yahoogroups.com, "monkeyland68" <chifley2002@o...>
              wrote:

              > Where did everybody go?
              >
              > Oh well, for anybody who still reads these posts here's my 10cents
              > worth.I have been a fan of the Chams since 83'. As news travels
              > slowly to where I live I was probably one of the later ones to here
              > of their reformation.On hearing one of their new tracks, I think it
              > was 'India' that came with 'Uncut' magazine's free cd I have to
              > admit I didn't exactly feel inspired to rush out and purchase their
              > new material. I think it's because I held them in such high regard
              > couldn't face having to admit that they could produce anything
              short
              > of magnificent.
              >
              > Upon reading some of the posts on this site about 'why call it
              > anything' I took the plunge and bought it, and yes, I am
              > dissapointed.Partly because it sounds like a cross between the
              Reegs
              > and Mark Burgess solo stuff (which is bareable)but mainly because
              > of 'Miracles and Wonders'. There are some styles that just don't
              mix
              > well together and this is one. I cringe every time I hear it. This
              > was Dave's idea wasn't it? Someone should have come forth and
              > stopped this mismatch of styles to maintain the integrity of The
              > Chams sound and style. Nothing against Kwasi,but to me it's like
              > hearing 'Tiny Tim' guest appearing on Purple Haze.
              >
              > Still willing to give them a second chance I bought a copy
              > of 'Resurrection, Live at the Academy'. Dissapointment again! Not
              > only is the sound shit(feels like i'm listening to it outside the
              > bloody venue) but yet again I'm made to cringe as I listen to 'Soul
              > in Isolation' during the normally mesmerising middle bit, Dave, who
              > is obviously of his tits pulls out a bloody didgeridoo. C'mon man
              > give me a break. It ruins it for me. You can't go defacing a
              classic
              > song with foreign sounds, it didn't need it, didn't add anything to
              > the song,and spoilt the spine tingle I usually get when I hear it.
              >
              > And so to top it off during the second part of 'One Flesh' out
              comes
              > Kwasi trampling over what is usually a masterpiece in guitar
              > atmospherics now sounding like a 'Shaggy' song gone wrong. Sorry
              but
              > they've blown it with me. I still love the 1st 3 albums but I can't
              > and won't support any more ventures into world music, save it
              > for 'Sting' and the like.
              >
              > Dave, you've got a lot to answer for!!!!

              I have to admit the whole Kwasi thing was a bit distracting when they
              toured last. There was no need for him at all!

              And "Why Call It Anything?" is really a hit & miss album. There are
              some alright songs on there. I am sure they could have done better.
              It really is not all up to par though.

              But The Chameleons still rock!;)

              Tim (L.A., CA.)
            • christopher bickley
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 14 3:46 PM
                Hi all! I must say that I do not agree with my Aussie friend's distaste of The use of didgeridoos and reggae toasters on Chameleons tunes. It was listening to Strip that renewed my passion for the group and I found the didge part surprising and refreshing and found Kwasi non distracting. Tiny Tim singing on Purple Haze???????? Bring it on, yeah! Chris B

              • christopher bickley

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 14 5:03 PM
                    I thought the purpose of this venerable and almost always interesting list
                    was to indeed do Chams topics to death. There's a really cool feature on
                    most email applications called the Delete function if you don't like a
                    particular topic. As long as topics are labeled somewhat clearly, it works
                    for me.

                    I always get a kick out of opinions on WCIA? because I was so happy to get
                    the album no matter what, and many of us seemed to have wanted it to sound
                    like our boys had been frozen in carbonite after 1987 and then thawed to
                    record album four. Not possible. We got what those four people were like and
                    were interested in when they got around to doing album four, and it belongs
                    to that period of their history together just as the first three did to
                    their earlier periods.

                    I like the video idea. And I also liked Miracles and Wonders, because it was
                    not what I expected or could have imagined. Definitely one of my favorite
                    songs on an album that may not have amazed me as consistently as the others,
                    but still worth buying and listening to once in a while.

                    I wish another Reegs album would come out. I loved those things.

                    Just my two cents,
                    Tim

                    On 4/14/05 7:12 PM, "christopher bickley" <scor_pioau@...> wrote:

                    > I also think that this topic has been absolutely done to death and we should
                    > all move on. What I would like to see is a Chameleon's song put to video so
                    > the greater world might get a chance to witness their particular magic. I
                    > would propose "All Around" as a good choice as it is fairly universal in its
                    > appeal and would win new fans. Then I would put some of the older more scary
                    > stuff to video/DVD; (as she parts her greying hair....!). Chams music conjures
                    > such wonderful visions and imagery, similar to Comsats stuff. It is a shame
                    > that this hasm't been done properly before (to the best of my knowledge).
                    >
                    > monkeyland68 <chifley2002@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Where did everybody go?
                    > <snip>
                  • marginalman13
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 14 6:00 PM
                      I really do not think this thread has not even yet begun.

                      I personally thought "Strip" is great! I have no qualms about that.

                      Tiny Tim singing Purple Haze?
                      That would be a bit strange and a bit out of place.

                      Also "The Chameleons" video part would be great! Only if it was done
                      like 17-24 years ago. You can not live the past with bands. What was
                      done was done.

                      That is like taking all of "Joy Division's" catalog and putting it to
                      video without the band being together? The only one I know of that
                      was done like this is "Atmosphere". Maybe it can be done? Who knows?
                      But it is always good to see the band when the videos were done then,
                      not now.

                      Tim - (L.A., CA.)

                      --- In chameleons@yahoogroups.com, christopher bickley

                      Service.

                    • christopher bickley
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 14 9:27 PM
                        Can't agree with that logic! There would be nothing wrong with making a video with the band as it exists today, I already have it in my head as I write. Lots of moody black and white and vibrant primary colours to follow the mood and storyline of the verses. This song has great commercial potential too as a soundtrack for an advertisement or aid organisation which is sadly how a lot of songwriters approach their craft (not that there is anything wrong with that!) I would even venture to participate in the making of such a project if others were interested. Of course we can't forget the clever artwork of Reg too! Why hasn't this been done before; good visuals are just as important these days as the music. It would add that missing essential piece of the Chameleons puzzle! What wouldn't work is another totally ineffectual video of the band dooning instruments and simply miming one of their songs (that is not ART!) Chris