Re: CDTV Infrared Remote Codes

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4 12:37 PM
      Hoi,

      Ofcourse I know the codes as I made the receiver code on the Chameleon. The carrier is indeed 40 Khz and the remote uses something that looks like morse-code. The codes are 12 bits long but are send twice with the second copy all bits are flipped. This is verification that the code is correctly received.

      Code starts with 9 ms transmission (at 40Khz) then a pauze of 4.5. Followed by pulse (400 us) + either short or long pause, then another pulse + either short or long pause etc 24 times. Then one pulse extra at the end.

      Pulses are about 400 us long (0.4 ms). Short pauses are 0.4 ms as well. Long pauses are 1.200 ms (1200 us).

      When key is held it sends repeat codes every 60 milliseconds. 9 ms pulse followed by 2.1 ms pauze and then the 0.4 ms end pulse.

      The codes are as follows (remember to invert long and short and send then again before sending the end bit of 0.4 ms).

      1 SSSS_SSSS_SSSL
      2 SSSS_SSLS_SSSL
      3 SSSS_SSSL_SSSL
      4 SSSS_SSSS_LSSL
      5 SSSS_SSLS_LSSL
      6 SSSS_SSSL_LSSL
      7 SSSS_SSSS_SLSL
      8 SSSS_SSLS_SLSL
      9 SSSS_SSSL_SLSL
      0 SSSS_SSLL_LSSL
      escape SSSS_SSLL_SSSL
      enter SSSS_SSLL_SLSL
      genlock SSSS_SSLS_SSLS
      cd/tv SSSS_SSSS_SSLS
      power SSSS_SSSL_SSLS
      rew SSSS_SSLL_SSLS
      play/pause SSSS_SSSS_LSLS
      ff SSSS_SSSL_LSLS
      stop SSSS_SSLS_LSLS
      vol up SSSS_SSSS_SLLS
      vol down SSSS_SSLL_LSLS
      Mouse A SSSS_LSSS_SSSS
      Mouse B SSSS_SLSS_SSSS
      Mouse A+B SSSS_LLSS_SSSS
      Mouse Up SSSS_SSLS_SSSS
      Mouse Right SSSS_SSSS_SLSS
      Mouse Down SSSS_SSSL_SSSS
      Mouse Left SSSS_SSSS_LSSS
      Joy A LSSS_LSSS_SSSS

      Greetz,
      Peter

      --- In chameleon_64@yahoogroups.com, "RolandJuno" <rickards@...> wrote:

      > I have a Chameleon cart and loving it. I don't however have a CDTV remote on hand for joystick.
      >
      > I'm interested in creating a circuit that will take a standard 9-pin joystick and convert it into the corresponding infrared pulses that match what the original CDTV remote emitted. I've searched around and the only thing I have found so far is that it operated on a 40 Khz carrier.
      >
      > Does anyone have details on the IR codes that the CDTV remote used? I'd need the timing of the pulses as well. I'll be using the Arduino platform and would be happy to share the code publicly once finished so you could build your own.

    • RolandJuno
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5 12:53 PM
        Many thanks Peter for the excellent description of the IR protocol.

        I figured out that the rest of the joystick codes were the same as the mouse codes but had the leftmost bit set to '1' (maybe that's joy port 0 and joy port 1?). I also figured out based on the patterns which bits were for which direction so the code can send more than one button press at a time (ex: left + button A).

        I haven't done anything with the repeating of codes, I'm just sending the entire 24 bits from a loop and it seems fine-- I may revisit this.

        I gave it a quick test and it seems fairly responsive!

        Are there full IR codes for the entire keyboard as well?

        Anyway, as promised, I posted the code on my website for anyone who wishes to build this and try it out. Let me know how it works for you. Have fun!

        http://biosrhythm.com/?p=886

        --- In chameleon_64@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pwsoft@...> wrote:

        > Hoi,
        >
        > Ofcourse I know the codes as I made the receiver code on the Chameleon. The carrier is indeed 40 Khz and the remote uses something that looks like morse-code. The codes are 12 bits long but are send twice with the second copy all bits are flipped. This is verification that the code is correctly received.
        >
        > Code starts with 9 ms transmission (at 40Khz) then a pauze of 4.5. Followed by pulse (400 us) + either short or long pause, then another pulse + either short or long pause etc 24 times. Then one pulse extra at the end.
        >
        > Pulses are about 400 us long (0.4 ms). Short pauses are 0.4 ms as well. Long pauses are 1.200 ms (1200 us).
        >
        > When key is held it sends repeat codes every 60 milliseconds. 9 ms pulse followed by 2.1 ms pauze and then the 0.4 ms end pulse.
        >
        > The codes are as follows (remember to invert long and short and send then again before sending the end bit of 0.4 ms).
        >
        > 1 SSSS_SSSS_SSSL
        > 2 SSSS_SSLS_SSSL
        > 3 SSSS_SSSL_SSSL
        > 4 SSSS_SSSS_LSSL
        > 5 SSSS_SSLS_LSSL
        > 6 SSSS_SSSL_LSSL
        > 7 SSSS_SSSS_SLSL
        > 8 SSSS_SSLS_SLSL
        > 9 SSSS_SSSL_SLSL
        > 0 SSSS_SSLL_LSSL
        > escape SSSS_SSLL_SSSL
        > enter SSSS_SSLL_SLSL
        > genlock SSSS_SSLS_SSLS
        > cd/tv SSSS_SSSS_SSLS
        > power SSSS_SSSL_SSLS
        > rew SSSS_SSLL_SSLS
        > play/pause SSSS_SSSS_LSLS
        > ff SSSS_SSSL_LSLS
        > stop SSSS_SSLS_LSLS
        > vol up SSSS_SSSS_SLLS
        > vol down SSSS_SSLL_LSLS
        > Mouse A SSSS_LSSS_SSSS
        > Mouse B SSSS_SLSS_SSSS
        > Mouse A+B SSSS_LLSS_SSSS
        > Mouse Up SSSS_SSLS_SSSS
        > Mouse Right SSSS_SSSS_SLSS
        > Mouse Down SSSS_SSSL_SSSS
        > Mouse Left SSSS_SSSS_LSSS
        > Joy A LSSS_LSSS_SSSS
        >

        > Greetz,
        > Peter
        >
        > --- In chameleon_64@yahoogroups.com, "RolandJuno" <rickards@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have a Chameleon cart and loving it. I don't however have a CDTV remote on hand for joystick.
        > >
        > > I'm interested in creating a circuit that will take a standard 9-pin joystick and convert it into the corresponding infrared pulses that match what the original CDTV remote emitted. I've searched around and the only thing I have found so far is that it operated on a 40 Khz carrier.
        > >
        > > Does anyone have details on the IR codes that the CDTV remote used? I'd need the timing of the pulses as well. I'll be using the Arduino platform and would be happy to share the code publicly once finished so you could build your own.

      • Nicolas Welte
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5 1:53 PM
          On 05.06.2011 21:53, RolandJuno wrote:

          > Many thanks Peter for the excellent description of the IR protocol.

          This is what I think, as the serial codes from IR, Keyboard and Mouse are
          all handled by the same MCU in the CDTV. My guess is the codes are all the
          same :) E.g. there exist Joystick to Mouse Port adaptors for the CDTV which
          connect two DB9 Joysticks or Mouse to the single serial Mouse input on the
          CDTV.

          Nicolas
        • Steven Croucher
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5 11:12 PM
            I think the codes are different.  I have tried the CD1200 games brick and it doesn't work with the Chameleon.

            As an aside, does anyone find the cdtv remote stops working after a few minutes in C64 mode?

            Steve

            -- Sent from my Palm Pre

            On 5 Jun 2011 21:53, Nicolas Welte <no_spam@...> wrote:

            On 05.06.2011 21:53, RolandJuno wrote:

            > Many thanks Peter for the excellent description of the IR protocol.

            This is what I think, as the serial codes from IR, Keyboard and Mouse are
            all handled by the same MCU in the CDTV. My guess is the codes are all the
            same :) E.g. there exist Joystick to Mouse Port adaptors for the CDTV which
            connect two DB9 Joysticks or Mouse to the single serial Mouse input on the
            CDTV.

            Nicolas

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional