Re: [CG] Dangerous "protected" bikelane in Chicago

  • Serge Issakov
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 7, 2011
      Indeed.  This video was posted on the SDCBC list a few days ago, and I responded as follows there.

      At 1:19 it shows the "protected" bike lane going down a hill and crossing a street at the bottom of the hill.  The first cyclist is too far down to know if she looked, bu the second cyclist gives only a cursory glance while already in the intersection at 1:24, perhaps because he realizes he is clearing it only a second before a white SUV crosses his path.  It's shown again briefly at 1:53 - not the cyclist in the yellow jacket, and his lack of attention.  Another close call here is shown at 2:55 when a cyclist in a red jacket is still crossing the intersection as an oncoming car is turned left across the "protected" bike lane just behind him.  Imagine if the motorist turned one second earlier.  Yet another is shown at 3:31, this time a right hook averted by literally about a second.  This design puts a much greater demand on both the cyclist and the crossing motorists than regular intersections do, and so is subject to more error and crashes.  They should have used red instead of green paint treatment to camouflage the blood that will surely be spilled here.

      The narrator admits they paid extra attention to the crossing points - with paint and signs and such - but the reason all that is even needed is because all these crossing are unconventional - not the way traffic normally flows.

      At 1:43 a presumably typical and very cute cyclist say she goes "out of her way" to ride in the protected lane because it makes her feel safer (well, of course, the typical cyclist is unaware of the most likely hazards as is indicated by the obliviousness expressed by the cyclists as they approach and cross that one intersection).  The next person to talk is a guy in a tie who says "what's fascinating" is that mode share of that bike lane went up from 22% to 49% within two weeks.  This confirms Forester's hypothesis that much if not all of the "increase" in cycling that is measured by such projects stems from cyclists moving from other routes to the newly treated route, and not from motorists leaving their cars in the garage to take up cycling.

      This is obviously the current fad in bike facilities right now, and I sincerely hope we keep San Diego inoculated from this disease while other cities experiment and suffer the cyclist injuries and deaths.

      ----
      At least two people (who happen to be separation advocates) somehow parsed that last sentence so that "sincerely hope" modified  the final clause.  Of course that's not what I intended, but this is:

      This is obviously the current fad in bike facilities right now.  While other cities experiment and suffer the cyclist injuries and deaths, I sincerely hope we keep San Diego inoculated from this disease

      Serge

      On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Peter <jprosenfeld@...> wrote:

      http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/hurrah-chicagos-first-protected-bike-lane-video.html

      Check out the video - the bikelane is between parked cars and the curb, hiding the bicyclist from the view of drivers. You can actually see in the film several sports where the bicyclist pops out from behind parked cars just as a car is turning right through the intersection! You can actually watch several cases where if the timing was a little differnce, a right hook would occur. Who could possibly think this is a good design?

      You can watch the first conflict at about 00:46 into the video. Another nice one at 01:19. In this one, the bicyclists are going downhill right before they enter the intersection, so they pop out even faster as cars are turning throuhg the intersection. Just amazing.

      On the other hand they did put in some deck treatment on a steel grid bridge.

    • tOM Trottier
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 13, 2011
        Deaths
        Total
        Pedal cyclists
        Pedal
        /car
        2010
        32,885
        618
        1.88%
        2009
        33,883
        628
        1.85%
        2008
        37,261
        716
        1.92%
        2007
        41,259
        701
        1.70%
        2006
        42,708
        772
        1.81%
        2005
        43,510
        786
        1.81%
        2004
        42,836
        727
        1.70%
        2003
        42,884
        629
        1.47%
        2002
        43,005
        665
        1.55%
        2001
        42,196
        732
        1.73%
        2000
        41,945
        693
        1.65%
        1999
        41,717
        754
        1.81%
        1998
        41,501
        760
        1.83%
        1997
        41,967
        813
        1.94%
        1996
        41,907
        765
        1.83%
        1995
        41,798
        833
        1.99%
        1994
        40,676
        802
        1.97%
        1993
        40,115
        816
        2.03%
        1992
        39,235
        723
        1.84%
        1991
        41,162
        843
        2.05%
        1990
        44,529
        859
        1.93%
        1989
        45,555
        832
        1.83%
        1988
        47,093
        911
        1.93%
        1987
        46,385
        948
        2.04%
        1986
        46,056
        941
        2.04%
        1985
        43,795
        890
        2.03%
        1984
        44,257
        849
        1.92%
        1983
        42,589
        839
        1.97%
        1982
        43,945
        883
        2.01%
        1981
        49,301
        936
        1.90%
        1980
        51,091
        965
        1.89%
        1979
        51,103
        932
        1.82%
        1978
        50,331
        892
        1.77%
        1977
        47,878
        922
        1.93%
        1976
        45,523
        914
        2.01%
        1975
        45,500
        1,003
        2.20%
        :

        Trend
        -290
        -8.8
        -0.00762%
        % trend
        -0.67%
        -1.08%
        -0.41%

        Cyclists are getting safer, slowly.

        There does seem to be a big car fatalities trend down when the recession hit.
        Less driving? Less hurry?

        tOM

        -- Absum! --

        tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633

        P Est-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel ?
        Do you really need to print this email?
        MD5 Fingerprint        27:B8:BA:91:70:E5:44:20:8F:29:EE:46:1E:52:F6:81
        SHA1           23:3A:53:18:AB:83:B1:CA:O7:33:AF:10:11:24:27:95:22:98:4E:7E
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Any use of this message, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.